Chicken was attacked by hawk on Sunday a.m. - still won't eat or drink - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moogie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Moogie

Moogie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    I really need some help with one of my chickens who was attacked by a hawk 2 days ago. I went outside Sunday morning to hear our 4 huge crows attacking a hawk. They continued their loud cawing and dive-bombing until the hawk eventually left. It was then that I realized none of my flock had come running up to me.

I spent nearly 2 hours rounding up my missing 10 chickens over 5 acres - finding them hiding in various places. I finally found my last Americauna, and judging by the amount of feathers on the ground, it was a miracle she was alive. She was on her back and had one side of her neck skin torn, puncture wounds on her bald back and all of her tail feathers missing. She was in severe shock.

Her wounds were very clean - no dirt - so I sprayed everything well with betadine tea, applied triple antibiotic cream, and then sprayed blue cote on top. She didn't eat or drink anything that day - except for the water I gave her with an eye dropper every few hours and a dose of Rescue Remedy. I tried giving her scrambled eggs, but no interest. She is pooping normally.

Monday - same thing. I tried giving her yogurt and chopped up grapes, but no interest. I continued giving her water with an eyedropper every couple of hours and a dose of Rescue Remedy. I gave her a warm bath with a bit of betadine in it to clean her up (from lying in poop) and she seemed to enjoy it.

This morning, still no interest and I continue with the eyedropper. I noticed that she's now developed a very slight rattle when she breathes and am concerned about a respiratory infection. I checked her chest again for wounds I may have missed, but she's fine.

Her wounds are healing up - absolutely no weeping or swelling. It's hard to see much through the blue kote, but I don't believe there's any infection of any kind. She is unable to stand for more than a few seconds - one of her legs gives way. (but I've read on here that sometimes happens due to trauma and she might recover from that) I'm very concerned that she still won't eat or drink.

Since I'm new to chickens, I have searched this forum to find out what kind of antibiotic to give for respiratory ailments. I read that it's given with a very short needle in the chest area - will the feed store know what size?

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this little chicken. She is fighting to hang on and I feel responsible to give her as much care as I can.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If she has rattling, I would put her on Tylan, but maybe someone could think of something that would cover respiratory and wounds. Poor baby!!!!

3. Moogie

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    Would that be Tylan200? I was just getting ready to leave for the feed store and was going to ask someone there. Unfortunately, the girl who is usually there during the day doesn't seem to know much about chickens at all. :(

Thank you for your reply - I'll wait a few more minutes before leaving to see if you or anyone else responds.

Also, can anyone tell me what size needle?

4. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I'm sorry about your girl :( If her chest or crop is hurt...maybe bruised...eating hard food could be painful. I had a girl attacked by something last year about this time. The vet I took her to suggested going to PetSmart and getting baby bird food. It's a powder that you mix with warm water. My girl loved it! I had to pry open her mouth and get her to eat it at first, but it definitely made her feel better. I also gave her water through a dropper. I would drip in on the side of her beak so it ran down the side and towards the tip. She'd like up the little drop that formed there. If they get dehydrated, they definitely won't feel well.

Good luck! After a few days, one of the best things I did for her was let her out in the grass and sunshine. She was getting depressed all cooped up alone.

5. Moogie

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    Agnella, thank you so much for your reply. I took her outside this morning and she seemed so much more alert. The girls came over to see her through the fence - were all very quiet (odd for them) and stood really still with their heads next to hers. I took her back inside and tried to make her as comfortable as possible.

Sadly, she passed this afternoon. I know I did as much as I could, but it's the first chicken I've had die and it's just so very sad.

Thank you for the help and advice - BYCers are always so good to help.

6. notv

notv Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Portland, OR
    So sorry about your hen. [​IMG] Sounds like you did a great job treating her and she got to spend some quality time outside before she passed.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You did all you could, and I am sorry she passed.

For future reference- punctures along the mid to upper back and back of the neck usually hit the lungs or air sacs if they are any depth at all. She probably had a tear in one of those and that's the rattling you were hearing. Unfortunately, (as I also have discovered) this is generally fatal.

Again- sorry for your loss. Keep the flock in lockdown for a few weeks because the hawk will be returning.

Good luck.

8. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

I have lost one and you're right, it's very hard.

9. davisfam2000

davisfam2000 New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you get this message but my chicken was our most favorite family friend of all of our pets. Our cat, two dogs and bunny all played together and she was sort of like the king of the backyard and it was really cute. :) The other morning, unfortunately, she was attacked by an wild bobcat. I fortunately scared her off in time but the trauma and shock that came to her was the end of her existence. She would not eat or drink for 3 days. We did everything possible for her even taking her to urgent care. She died peacefully but it is still heart wrenching. All my other pets still sense the lost of the one that had command of everything. She will be sourly missed. I'm glad you posted your message because I still wonder to this day if I could have done more to save her. I wish you well with your future pet endeavors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by