chicken was bleeding under vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by denardo, Feb 12, 2013.

1. denardo

denardo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    i noticed my chicken was bleeding today.when i looked closer,it appeared to have its organs exposed under vent and was bleeding worse.i put the poor thing out of its misery,and im wondering if it was an illness, or a predator.any comments would be greatly appreciated.im am heartbroken

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    OH I am so sorry for you!! [​IMG]but I think you did the right thing for the chicken. Where it looked like the organs were exposed, was it like a wound? That could have been caused by a predator...any more info could help me and anyone else work it out. Whatever it was, it couldn't have been your fault [​IMG]

3. beachchick53

beachchick53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Coastal South Carolina
    So sorry you had this happen.[​IMG] I wouldn't have known what to do. I hope you find out what happened to her. Good luck with the rest of your girls.

4. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    So sorry for your loss[​IMG] Hope your other girls are doing well[​IMG]
    How old was she?

5. denardo

Sep 6, 2012
    she was about 5 months old,and thank you.all my other girls are fine.

6. denardo

Sep 6, 2012
    im really not sure what it looked like,wound or other.it looked like a round thing with lines running around it,very meaty and raw.she was bleeding so much,i just didnt want to see her suffer.very hard to do.i think she was pecking at it because it hurt.thanks all for your input.i feel like i did the right thing for her.

7. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yes I agree, in this situation it's the best thing you could have done for her. The wound sounds like it could have been caused by pecking?

8. denardo

Sep 6, 2012
    i have a feeling that you are right.i will watch the girls closely.thank you for your input

9. henlover5

henlover5 New Egg

Jul 2, 2013
    My chicken is going through the same thing . She isn't bleeding much. Just a drop or two in the past 2 days. I removed her from the others since they were attacking her. I got to her in time thank god. She's healing now but it still looks aweful..:( she's eating , drinking and laying fine. Any other things you think I can do to help her heal? I've given her warm baths and put ointment on the wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by