1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken was laying on side and wouldn't walk..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffOrp82, Feb 21, 2014.

1. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    I found my 6 week old Golden Comet, Stripes, laying on her side tonight, she acted like she didn't want to or couldn't get up. I stood her up and she started to shuffle or craw around on her belly without extending her legs. I was about to take her to the vet and then she stood up and now seems fine. I saw her poop afterward it looked normal, she also ate and drank.

I don't know what to make of this, should I be worried? Prior to this she has been fine, energetic, eating and drinking well, pooping normal. My chickens are family and I love them, I want to take good care of all of them. I have 7 other chickens and they are all acting fine, eating drinking pooping and begging for worms like always.

If anyone has ever experienced this or has any advice please share ...

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep an eye on her. Maybe she got hurt or got hit on the head. Did she have a Mareks vaccine when she was hatched? Does she go outside to free range yet, or is she still in the brooder? If you have any poultry vitamins, I would put some in her water for a few days.

3. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    All of them have been vaccinated for Mareks, and they have not been outside the brooder yet, its still too cold here in Ohio. I'll get some vitamins tomorrow and try that, they do get probiotics in the water at least once a week and fresh fruit and veggies often ( watermelon, apples, bananas, lettuce, spinach etc) in addition to their medicated chick starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by