chicken was weak couldnt walk now won't lay

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunrise crow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. sunrise crow

sunrise crow New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    I have a barred rock born march 27 so about 6 months old. A week ago last Sunday my daughter discovered her in the coop, at first she did't want to get up and walk, then when my daughter took her and stood her up she seemed to stumble. A couple hours later when I checked on her she could hardly walk at all and had very watery green poop. I separated her from the others and thought maybe it was botulism poisoning flushed her with epsom salt water gave her lots of fresh grains and organic vegetables and fruit along with lots of grass hoppers my kids and I caught for her. After a couple days she was doing better and eating well but still weak. By last friday Henrietta was doing very well, she is now pooping normally can walk well even scamper without falling over. While I am very relieved because she seemed so close to death, I am concerned because she has not layed an egg since at least a week ago Sunday. Could it be because she was so sick or do I need to treat her as egg bound. BTW how long after a chicken recovers from illness before you reintegrate a chicken in with the rest of the flock?

2. sunrise crow

sunrise crow New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    I am new to chicken raising and I am very concerned that maybe henrietta is still sick and I am missing something. Any help anyone can give me would be so greatly appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by