chicken waterer nipples 5 for $3.90 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OC closet chicken fan, Oct 27, 2011.

1. OC closet chicken fan

OC closet chicken fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    so. cal orange county
    i was contemplating a good way to keep waste down and keep chickens quenched and kept away from getting nipples in a few months now because i thought they were too expensive... then this morning i came across these...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Chicken-D...30739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27befc4e

5 for $3.90...free shipping... i just ordered some...my first nipples purchase... now wondering if they are worth it? do they work as advertised?

2. katschicks11

katschicks11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Edwardsville, IL
    It sounded good to me I bought the same ones yesterday [​IMG] to try them. Hope the girls will use them.

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:If they work and Do Not Leak its a good Buy...cva34

4. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Quote:If they work and Do Not Leak its a good Buy...cva34

x2. I use them and love them, provided you install them correctly. I had one that wasn't quite snug enough, and it did leak. I used silicone calking to seal it better, which I have done with another one, but my girls decided to pick at it this time. I just need to make it more snug next time. BTW, very good deal from what I've seen. (and paid [​IMG])

5. OC closet chicken fan

Oct 7, 2011
    so. cal orange county
    sweeeet... thanks yall

and now the wait... maybe i should get a tap and dye set too.... to thread the bucket so the nipple can be more snug.....

6. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    i use these exact ones and like them as you can take them apart to clean them (just dont drop the parts) i unscrew them over a bucket so the parts fall into it

i have 3 in the bottom of 5 gal buckets and use a tank deicer in winter to keep it thawed out

7. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    What do y'all use to hang the buckets?

8. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    i currently use a sheppards hook but as the weight of the water deforms the bucket and pulls out the handles i am making a hanger out of plywood that the bucket will hang from the reenforcing rim (picture a 14x14 square with a 11.5 diameter hole in it for the bucket to sit in)
    you either hinge one side and attach the other w a chain or use 3 or 4 2x2 for legs cut to your height

9. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:See my page. We hang them with wire a carabiner for the bucket and a screw in hook at the ceiling. we found rope stretches over time and has to be constantly readjusted. Kind of a pain in the tail feathers...

10. OC closet chicken fan

Oct 7, 2011
    so. cal orange county
    item's been shipped... i got a tracking number and everything... ... ... maybe ill post some pictures of my waterer setup.... [​IMG]

happy halloween yall

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by