chicken webcam people-HELP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Justino, May 20, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    i wanna set up a webcam in my coop but dont know how they work-
    are they conected to the CP or can they be outside with electricity
    are they wireless?
    does it have to be online?

2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

A "Webcam" by definition is a live streaming network connected video camera. Webcams are mostly software that interface (somehow) to a computer system. You would either need a cable connection to a computer or a hard wired or wireless network setup.

You could set up a video camera or closed circuit television camera (CCTV) without it being a webcam. With CCTV all you need is a CCTV camera (as little as $70) and a coax with power cable that carries the power to the camera and reurns the signal from the camera to the TV/monitor.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  3. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    cool! [​IMG]

4. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    ok, i know this is old but i am lookin back into this idea....i mainly want it to see the chooks when im on trips and stuff but i dont want it so everyone in the world can see it........do u think theres a way to make it so u like need a password to watch it or somethin? [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yes. I can watch mine on my computer anywhere in the workd. I have a web ready system. It;s also used for security when I'm away. Not cheep. You will need a static IP from you internet service provider.

6. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Quote:How much is something like this and where would I get it. How do I install it?

7. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  8. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    To add,
    You could use a web cam wirelessly if it is in range which is usually no more than 100 ft from the router source. Also you can run ethernet wire to your router and increase your range exponentially.
    Most routers have excess ports for home networks. You can also run your internet acess to a store bought router from the isp you use then to your box so you can have extra ports for web cams or network machines.
    In short, run ethernet cable if you want to put your web cam in an area that is out of range for wireless. It's fairly cheap to do using your home computer if you have a static ip from your provider.
    If you are away you would need to have a static ip address and remote access setup so you could log in to your home network.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I bought my system. It is a 4 camera web ready DVR. The DVR plugs into my router. I have a wired system. I initially had a wireless, but wanted night vision and the wireless was terrible, so I returned it and got a wired system and it realy works well at night. When I get on my other computer I'll post some pics. I'm at work right now.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:My system is password protected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by