• I will be back for more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I won't be back

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChickenMama6RIR

Free Ranging
7 Years
This week we will be talking about the Plymouth Rock Chicken breed. :celebrate The Plymouth Rock Chicken( also known as the Barred Rock Chicken) is an American breed of domestic chicken. It was first seen in Massachusetts in the nineteenth century, and for much of the twentieth century was the most popular chicken breed in America. The personality of a Plymouth rock is smart and docile, but as most people prefer to call them, calm. They are very good with children and are an excellent beginner chicken. They make very good mothers also, as they will go broody. The best time for them to go broody is during the springtime. Yay!!! Finally the warm time of the year:yiipchick The Plymouth Rock is a sturdy, heavy breed with a large, full breast. Their legs and beak are a vivid yellow color and their lobes and combs are red. Their coats come in a variety of gorgeous colors. The most impressive and common, being the barred black and white feathering. Also, they are not good fliers, so you shouldn't have to worry about them flying out of their coop. They do good in a confined area, which is another reason they are awesome backyard chickens. [COLOR=FF0000]Information: [/COLOR] Egg production: 280 eggs a year Egg size: large Egg color: light brown/brown Temperament: calm Primary use: dual-purpose meat/egg Broody: Yes Lifespan: 6-8 years, although they have been known to live 10-12 years Hardy in cold weather: Yes Recognized variety: black frizzle, blue, partridge, barred, buff, silver penciled, black, and white That concludes this weekly edition. If I missed anything or had any wrong information, feel free to let me know. Until next time, happy Backyard Chicken reading! Signed, Chickenmama6rir :thumbsup

Last edited:
I have decided to do another edition this week of Chicken Weekly Edition!!! This time we will talk about... Silkies!!!

This is my black Silkie, Silkie. I know her name is ironic lol
The Silkie Chicken was originated in China. Silkies most likely made their way to the west via the silk route and Maritime Trade. The breed was recognized officially in North America with acceptance in in the Standard Perfection in 1874. Once Silkies became more common in the west, many were perpetuated about them. Early Dutch breeders told buyers that were offspring of chickens and rabbits, while slideshows promoted them as having actual mammalian fur. In the 21st century, Silkies are one of the most popular and ubiquitous ornamental breeds of chicken. They are often kept as ornamental fowl or pet chickens by backyard keepers, and are commonly used to incubate and raise offspring of other chickens and waterfowl like ducks and geese and gamebirds such as quail and pheasants. Silkies are considered a bantam breed in some countries. Almost all North American strains of the breed are bantam sized, but in Europe the standard-sized is the original version. Silkies have 5 toes on each foot instead of 4 like the average chicken. They are a really good backyard breed because they will not make mess of your garden like a lot of other chicken breeds will. They also lay small eggs with big yolks and less white, and will lay an average of 3-5 eggs a week. Information: Primary Use: Eggs Egg Production: 100 Eggs Size: Small Egg Color: Tinted, Cream Temperament: Friendly, Calm, and Mothering Skin and Bone Color: Black or Blue Meat Color: Lightish Gray Feathered Legs: Yes Hardy In The Cold Weather: Yes Recognized Variety: Non-Bearded White, Non-Bearded Partridge,Non-Bearded Blue, Bearded Partridge, Bearded White, Bearded Buff, Non-Bearded Gray, Bearded Splash, Bearded Gray, Bearded Black, Non-Bearded Black, Non-Bearded Buff, and Bearded Blue. There you have it! The wonderful and gorgeous breed, Silkie. Until next time, Happy Backyard Chickens reading. Signed, Chickenmama6rir

Last edited:
haha! she cute with her fluff head and face
smile.png
I bet she soft. I seen some of these at feed store but they white

Back
Top Bottom