Chicken weight question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SmallFlocker207, Mar 3, 2013.

1. SmallFlocker207

SmallFlocker207 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I have lots of verieties of chickens and was wondering when they will reach their full adult size. I am going to list the name of the breed, current size, and age, and i want you to tell me when they will reach their full size.

Columbian Wyandotte- 6 lbs- 9 months- supposed to be 6 1/2 lbs
    Barred rock- 5 1/2 lbs- 9 months- supposed to be 6 lbs
    Partridge rock- 6 1/2 lbs- 9 months- supposed to be 7 1/2 lbs
    Welsummer- 4 lbs- 9 months- supposed to be 6 lbs!!!
    Rhode Island red- 5 /12 lbs- 9 months- supposed to be 6 lbs
    New Hampshire red- 6 lbs- 9 months- supposed to be 6 1/2 lbs
    Black jersey giant- 1/4 lb- 3 weeks - supposed to be 10 lbs

2. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Just like with humans, there are an infinite number of variables that just make this impossible to answer. Things like their place in the pecking order will determine how much and what food they have access to. Their genetic disposition will have an affect because their parents may be naturally smaller or larger, plus any genetic illnesses that may occur, such as tumors. The weather will also affect it, and that has a strong correlation to their feed. A feed with low corn concentration, for instance, will require them to burn more of their body mass in order to stay warm during winter.

Something as simple as the feed can make a huge difference. Take fermented feed, for instance. One study was comparing the weights of regularly fed broilers versus fermented fed broilers. The fermented feed caused a slower growth development, but provided for a more nutritional and healthy growth resulting in 2 to 4 weeks additional life. The regular feed, however, caused them to gain weight abnormally fast, at rates that prevented their legs from properly developing. You can find the study in the first few pages of the Fermented Feed for Meat Birds thread.

Just some things to remember. And the size of the chicken should be of far less concern than their overall health. For most, the ultimate goal is to provide food, either through the eggs or the meat or both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by