1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken? What Chicken?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bowhunter2413, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bowhunter2413

Bowhunter2413 New Egg

Feb 10, 2014
    Columbus MS
    Love that line from the movie. Ha! Hey everybody, Columbus Ms chickin in, (pun intended)....Just getting started in the fowl business, thinking about SL Wyandotte. Desire good dual purpose birds, n they are reasonably attractive, (far as chickens go). Will be using a 20x10 dogpen for coop and run. If anyone has any words of wisdom, id be muchabliged.... Thanks...

2. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    Hey MS. Welcome to BYC!!! Your at the rite place!!!! C'mon in, sit a spell [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. I think that the Wyandotte is a good choice-- I have several of them, and they're my favorite breed.

8. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    Welcome.

If you want Wyandottes you should think twice about getting them a a feed store or hatchery. Hatchery Wyandottes, like all breeds, are usually poor example of the breed. However, I have found SLW hatchery birds to be one of the worst representatives of the breed. Most have terrible lacing and are build like a layer. For some reason, GLW from some hatcheries look pretty good. They won't win at the shows but they at least have pretty lacing.

If you want a true dual purpose line, you should get your birds from a breeder. When you do, ask the breeder what the cockerels typically weight at 16 weeks as some lines mature quicker than others.

Good Luck

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by