chicken wih ripped comb bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhoise, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi folks got home from work today and it appears my boss biddie has a ripped comb and it looked like a blood bath in the coop. Every one was calm and getting along and it appears as if the bleeding had stopped. I brought her in the house rinsed her head to investigate injury and rubbed vasoline all ofer her comb and wattles. She was good and not bleeding. Its hard to tell where the blood is coming from possible tear at the base of the back of her comb(large single combed barred rock hen). Let her back out to scratch and be with others and the bleeding started up again slow trickle but looks pretty impressive on the white snow! How can I help stop the bleeding?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I'd leave her alone, it will be fine. I have had several with ripped combs and have never had one bleed to death (or heard of it happening to anyone else!)

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    It happens so much. I usually put pressure until it slows, it tends to clot fast but any shake of the head gets it started all over again. So I get it to stop and apply neosporin ( not the kind with pain reliever) and let them go

4. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for responding, I think it looks real bad because of the snow...... and her head was pretty blood soaked( like a kid, any cut on the head always bleeds pretty good)...... I think they're getting cabin fever, cold snowy weather since before Christmas, and she got in a tangle with a feisty little hen who isn't afraid to hold her own( only hen with blood on her beak vrs all over the coop and their feathers). She's acting normal(except an occasional head shake and blood splatter, it's not dripping) and everyone is getting along, I got worried cause after I cleaned her up and put her back outside to peck scratch on a sheet of plywood(spoiled don't like the snow) her head started bleeding again? Maybe cause it's down and the blood is rushing to it from beating it on the plywood LOL. She is my top biddy so I don't think she will get picked on because of the blood, I keep watch, its almost dark and roosting time here

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    She should recover. Hang some fruit or veggies in their coop, it'll distract them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by