Chicken will not put weight on one of her legs

Chickendad1963

Chirping
Aug 13, 2021
Hello Everyone -

I have a 4 month old blue Polish chicken that possibly has sprained/broken/dislocated her leg. The only thing I can think of is she must have landed wrong getting off the roost. I have separated her from the group and have her inside with fresh water and food in a dog crate. I took her to the only vet in town that would see her (no chicken vets near me). The vet gave her a shot, some type of anti-inflammatory and some type of antibiotic in case it was an infection. I have added a probiotic to her food as well as putting a bit of apple cider vinegar in the water. (She also had a bit of diarrhea). She keeps her eyes partially shut most of the time. She is eating and drinking normally and her diarrhea has almost stopped. She uses her "bad leg" to scratch herself but will not put weight on it. She seems to be nodding off quite often. I can be holding her and she seems to be fine and then she closes her eyes and kind of nods off, then jerks her head up. I can be elsewhere in the house and hear her singing or trilling from time to time. I am new to chickens so I am not sure what to call it. She is not making "grown chicken" sounds. I know this is a very long post but I wanted to put out as much info as I could. I have 16 other chickens that are the same age as her and they are doing very well. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Other causes of lameness, besides a sprain or strain or fracture, are bumblefoort (injury to the pad of the foot), riboflavin deficiency, B-12 deficiency, and onset of avian virus symptoms.

Did the vet or you examine the bottoms of the feet for injuries? If the feet are fine, I suggest you add vitamin B complex to this pullet's daily nutrition for a week or so and see if it helps.

Thank you for the response. The vet checked her feet and said she did not have bumblefoot. I will try the B12. I just don’t want her to be in pain. Thank you again and have a great afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom