Chicken will only use one leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barbaraearley, Oct 3, 2016.

1. barbaraearley

barbaraearley Just Hatched

May 10, 2016
    Having been chased by the dog which I take full responsibility for and better security is now in place she will only hop. Fine eats well forages and is in excellent condition but just will not use her right leg.,Plenty of warmth and circulation and is in no discomfort and is still part of the flock. Any ideas please?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Leg injuries are very common. Without an expensive Xray, it is hard to tell what part of the leg or hip is injured, and if it is a break or sprain. A vet would be best, but keeping her in a crate or small pen with food and water, to force her to rest it for a couple of weeks or until she can walk, may be the best. Look her foot and entire leg over for any swelling, redness, or bruising. A crate kept near the other chickens will let her stay a part of the flock.

3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    How long has this been going on?

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Baby Aspirin will help a bath in Epsom salts too i have one that has a limp im treating her with aspirin she has improved good luck[​IMG]

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I had a chicken attacked by a weasel, and at some point during the attack, something happened to her hip, I did not realize it at the time, because I was to busy making sure she did not die from blood loss, but she healed well even though I did not give it any attention. Now, I am not suggesting you ignore this, it is a problem, I would try what has been recommended above. Good luck with her!

6. barbaraearley

barbaraearley Just Hatched

May 10, 2016
    about four months. I am sure she could put it to the ground if she wanted as at times I have seen her put her weight on it whilst standing.
    The leg looks exactly like the other, no redness, swelling. The same about of warmth. I think she has just got into the habit. Sure she is in no pain but will try a warm epsom bath and try massaging regulary.
    thank you everyone for their advice. She was checked by a chicken vet when it happened and he said there was nothing broken and he would expect a full recovery but still she holds one leg up and hops!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had one hen who held her leg up for 6 weeks or so after a sprain. Now I have one who has limped for almost a year. She always stays with her flock though, even having to struggle to get up and down the slope where they hang out during the day. I remember once reading a post by SpeckledHen who found a spiral fracture of her hen's leg when she did a necropsy on her, and saying she figured the hen had suffered a great deal of pain. I would make sure that she has food and water nearby, and try to get her to rest her leg as much as possible.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  8. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Since it's been four months, she may just stay like that. It sounds like you are doing everything right, since you took her to the vet and you know the leg is not swollen or red, and she's happy and healthy otherwise. I have a gimpy chicken, it's hard to describe but basically she acts like her leg won't bend. She gets around just fine and it doesn't slow her down at all, she's been like that for over a year now. Let us know if the baths and massage do any good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by