chicken wing feather problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by qaib thai, Apr 13, 2012.

1. qaib thai

qaib thai New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    i have a problem with some of my chickens mainly the roosters wing feathers. they like to flap and some of the feathers either broke off or missing. so my question is i know that if the wing feather is broken you should pull it so a new feather will grow. but what about the ones that broke off right at the root how am i suppose to pull those. i just want my roosters to look pretty. and the ones that broke off right at the root some have like this bump. so is there a trick to pulling the ones that broke at the root??

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    First of all you need to identify the cause and try to eliminate it. Secondly, a remedy. There could be several reasons; roosters fighting with each other, feather or shaft lice, feather picking, maybe molt. I dont recommend pulling feathers. They could be blood feathers and you'll have all your birds attacking the bird with blood on it making the problem worse. You'll have to wait until they molt for new feathers to grow back.
    Inspect them for lice and mites and treat with poultry dust or sevin dust. Repeat dusting in 10 days if it's external parasites. If it's fighting amongst the roosters, seperate them into different pens. If it's a feather picker, hen or rooster, seperate or cull her/him. If it's molt, you'll just have to bide your time and the feathers will regrown on their own in time.

3. qaib thai

qaib thai New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    so your saying dont pull the broken feathers. i keep all my roosters in individual pens. you also said during the molt they will fall out on their own but what about the ones that broke off right at the root are those going to be able to fall out during the molt i was thinking that it couldnt so pulling was the only option and also i wanted the roosters to grow back their wing feathers as fast as possible

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by