Chicken winter garden...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by missbecky, Oct 27, 2014.

1. missbecky

missbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    I have a little garden by my coop which I plan on covering with plastic -converting it into a green house so that I can get an early start on my seedlings next year. The simple 2x2 frame is already up.

My plan is to let the chickens roam around inside and they can have at it. Swiss Chard, tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, and kitchen herbs are about all that's left. (I hope these are all chicken safe plants)

This should provide them with some greens into the winter, and at the same time they can till & poop away preparing my garden for Spring.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll probably avoid the tomato plants until all else is gone.
    I'd broadcast some seed under and around your veggies like turnip, radish, beet, winter peas or if it stays above freezing, buckwheat to give more tender sprouts they'll enjoy more.
    Older growth plants are shunned because they're too fibrous.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    You can also throw some corn, sorghum,corn and sunflower seeds and will enjoy the seedlings very much!

4. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    If it was me I'd go buy a bag of wild bird seed and broadcast it in there and water it for a few days (keep the chickens out) until the sprouts are about 3 inches high. Shouldn't take more than a week, then let them at it. We don't have a garden thing for ours but we are sprouting seed to give them throughout the winter.

RichnSteph

5. missbecky

missbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Bowling Green, KY
    Great ideas! Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by