Chicken Wire Baskets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scrambled Egg, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Finished them yesterday....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These will be co-worker gifts, hope they go over well, they were really easy and very inexpensive!! Darlene

2. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Wow, that's brilliant! Wish I'd thought of it!

I am going to make gift baskets of cookies and candy this year, mind if I steal your idea?

3. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Terribly flattered, feel free! Just a tip about the chicken wire- it was toothick to cut with my jewelry wire cutters so I used an old pair of garden shears and it wasmuch easier. Then cut your length, bend into a circle and see where you need to flip the bottom up (just like taking a long strip of paper and making a circular, bottomed box from it) and then cut every 3 or 4 inches so it will overlap into a circle and then you'll need to twist and squeeze all those really sharp points down. My first ever soap making experience too, but really easy with the melt and pour glycerin into a pre-made mold. I love that apple-jack fragrance so that's what I used and my house still smells llike it where ever I have that soap! I lathers really, really well and makes your skin feel soft, anyone can do it, super easy. Glad you like them that makes me more hopeful that my work pals will! [​IMG] Darlene

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    That is so cute! Where did you find the soap mold? I love it!

5. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    That one came from a random ebay search for chicken soap molds (although it is a rooster!) but I have a really cuter one (a chicken this time, country cutsie) coming in the mail anyday now. I know on the grand professional scale that SouthernChick makes soap it is likely a lot of owrk, but for the small amounts I have made and with the melt and pour glycerin, it has been super easy and there are tons of fragrances to use. I need to get braver with the colorants though, you can make your soap any color you want or add spices or other things to it, I will try some of those when I finish my christmas list. Be brave, give it a try!!

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Well, they look really great and I'm sure your co-workers and friends will love to receive them as gifts. I love to give home made gifts out for x-mas.

I see all the easy melt and pour soap making supplies in Michaels Craft store all the time and I'm always tempted to give it a try for fun. I think my daughter or Girl Scout Troop would enjoy it.

You'll have to show us the new chicken mold when it comes in.

Thanks for sharing!
    Kim

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Neat idea! Wish I had even a TINY crafty bone in my body! They are lovely!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by