Chicken Wire Blues

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7L Farm, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yep. I used chicken wire & after reading all the threads about using hardware cloth. I bought an electric fence. But still not satisfied because my chickens are fix-in to lay & I don't wanna loose any eggs to Mr snake so I'm getting half inch cloth today & I'm gonna bury it about 4" in the ground on the inside of the coop & come up from there. Should I just go up a few feet or what. Like I said I do have electric fence. Here is the coop.This picture was taken before I installed the hot wire. Please, give me some ideas. I'm putting the cloth on the inside because the electric fence is already on the outside.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Keep at it, you will get it just how you want it eventually [​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Just wondering...why are you buring the wire on the inside? If you put it on the outside and bend it outwards like an apron or skirt you could deter digging predators, too and save yourself the labor of digging the trench.

Some snakes can climb up hardware cloth:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=399579

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I don't wanna take the hot wire down .

6. minge

minge New Egg

Sep 22, 2009
    7L Farm- So I am having a similar issue with my coop in that I want to lay flat some chicken wire over the ground inside my coop to keep rats out. There are about 1/2 dozen borrows on the ground floor and I think if I just lay chicken wire along the ground floor and bend the sides up the edges of the closed walls this will help keep them out. Any advise? I was just going to use the small holed chicken wire, but I am interested in this fabric you are talking about. What is it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by