Chicken Wire = Dead Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChooksinChoppers, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Why can't they just rename the stuff? Call it Garden wire or something else..anything else so new chicken owners won't use it!
    And Hardware Cloth needs to be renamed Chicken wire....there, my rant is over [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I don't understand. What happened with your chickens and chicken wire?

3. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Hmmm....I have always had chicken wire with no trouble. You just have to add lots of support and be sure to secure it down.
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Sorry! No I didnt loose any chickens! Chicken wire only keeps chickens IN doesn't keep preditors OUT . So If they renamed it people wouldnt use the stuff for chicken coops and runs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Raccoons, dogs, coyotes, etc, can tear/reach through chicken wire. Read the stories here on BYC about it. It's not meant to keep anything out, just to keep chickens in. I never use it as the sole barrier, never.

6. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    So, what do you suggest for the top of a run to keep out predators?

7. LincTex

LincTex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Quote:Something heavier - - I have seen dogs chew through chain link fence (yeah, I know - - I don't know how, but they did)

I am using "cattle panels" that are at TSC (tractor Supply) that are a really heavy gauge wire, almost "steel rod" heavy but not quite.

The holes are too big to be used by themselves (chickens can squeeze through) so you have to use some other wire with smaller holes. It WILL keep the dogs out!!

8. LincTex

LincTex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
  9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:We use welded wire, but I prefer hardware cloth. Welded wire is strong, but I guess weasels can get through. We keep the girls locked up behind a steel door, so we are not too worried about predators as long as the door is closed.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If your birds are locked inside their coop at night, then it doesn't matter if you use chicken wire on top or not. That basically keeps flying predators and cats out and birds in the fencing. If they stay out at night, you need much more attention to that aspect of the run. Most really bad predators are night stalkers, other than roaming dogs or hawks.

This pen works really well, but mine are inside before dark and safe from nighttime predators anyway.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by