1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken wire for apron around the ground

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hilltopeggs, Dec 17, 2015.

1. hilltopeggs

hilltopeggs New Egg

Nov 26, 2015
    my new pen i used 1/2in 19 guage hardware cloth on all walls and roof

but i bought 1 inch chicken wire to go on ground for the apron for prdators

is chicken wire doable for the apron to deter digging?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    From what I have read here on BYC chicken wire is effective at keeping chickens enclosed but not so good at keeping predators out. I guess you could try it and see what happens?

Good luck

Ct

3. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

It might work, but I'd fold the wire over to double it and lay large rocks on top so that they cover the wire.

4. Hermit House

Hermit House Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2015
    Vadsby, Denmark
    We have foxes and so I use metal fabric (welded wire mesh). The holes are 1cm x 2cm (a little less than 3/8th" x 3/4th"). Anything much larger and you can get rodents and other critters passing through. For larger predators the traditional chicken wire is just too easy to bite through or otherwise defeat. The only place we've used it is in the overhead section of the run. I may be overdoing it, but I mount the mesh on the outside of the structure with a deep overlap on the frame (to make it harder to push through the gap) and use a staple on every wire. We lost 10 of 12 of our first flock to a fox and the level of strength, determination, and imagination it had to use to get to them was impressive - if distressing. I reckon extra staples are a small cost compared to having to put down an injured friend.

Rather than bury the mesh or play an apron, I've gone with a fully wired base, again, mesh on the outside. With the wood chips and litter they never see the wire.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees..... double it and bury it a few inches, rocks or pavers wouldn't hurt either.

6. hilltopeggs

hilltopeggs New Egg

Nov 26, 2015
    I bought the hardware cloth thanks all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by