Chicken wire for run cover.. to support or not to support?

jenjan8998

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
I have a fenced area that measures 12'x21'. The fence is only 4' high, and my coop stands at about 7'. So if I added a cover, there would be the coop it had to go over. Plus a small tree that I would have to cut the wire to go around. It is close to one side of the fenced area, so I figured I would cut a slit from the side and just staple the wire to the tree and tie it closed back onto the fence.

So my question is this.. if I pulled the chicken wire tight, would it still slope in the middle of the pen with no support?
I dont mind bending over to clean the run. I could stand by the coop to clean it out, so no big deal there.
I just want yalls opinion on whether or not you thought that in the middle of the run, the wire would cave in.
Is there a better option to use other than wire? I live in GA so not much snow, but we do get ice at least once a year.

If I should support it, what would be the cheapest best way to do that?

I was also going to cover the half that has the coop with a tarp so the girls can still come out when its raining.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

I have a fenced area that measures 12'x21'. The fence is only 4' high, and my coop stands at about 7'. So if I added a cover, there would be the coop it had to go over. Plus a small tree that I would have to cut the wire to go around. It is close to one side of the fenced area, so I figured I would cut a slit from the side and just staple the wire to the tree and tie it closed back onto the fence. 

So my question is this.. if I pulled the chicken wire tight, would it still slope in the middle of the pen with no support? 
I dont mind bending over to clean the run. I could stand by the coop to clean it out, so no big deal there. 
I just want yalls opinion on whether or not you thought that in the middle of the run, the wire would cave in. 
Is there a better option to use other than wire? I live in GA so not much snow, but we do get ice at least once a year. 

If I should support it, what would be the cheapest best way to do that? 

I was also going to cover the half that has the coop with a tarp so the girls can still come out when its
raining. 

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

It would most likely cave.
I have a 24x32' wire-covered run and we had to put support up to keep the wire from caving. My girls still go out when it's pouring and they do just fine. I don't think it would be a good idea unless you have support for the wire other than the outside fencing.
Hope this helps!

Ok, thanks! I was hoping not to have to bring in some beams, but it would probably be the for the best.

Here's mine, but you wouldn't have to put as many beams since yours is a little smaller.
Ours was built by a friend, but it shouldn't be hard to put a few beams up.

Last edited:
Those are lucky chickens! Thanks for the pictures! Definitely a great reference point!

Do you have to worry about snow load where you live?
And remember chicken wire is not predator proof....good for hawks, but even they could rip it apart if really hungry.

Do you have to worry about snow load where you live?
And remember chicken wire is not predator proof....good for hawks, but even they could rip it apart if really hungry.

I agree with aart, I use 1x2" predator wire, it's still a little wide but it's very strong. Hard wear cloth might work as well.

Back
Top Bottom