Chicken wire in bottom of tractor?

DaggerD

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
Idaho
I was just wondering if some people put chicken wire on the bottom of the chicken tractor and just let the chickens eat the grass/bugs through the wire. Otherwise, how do you keep animals from digging under the walls? Or do you just have to pen them up in the enclosed part every night?

Thanks

I put an apron of hardware cloth around the perimeter of my run, then put wide wood planks over that. So far so good!
thumbsup.gif

It is real wise to pen them up in the enclosed 'indoor' part every night. Wire or no wire. Removes temptation
wink.png

However, an apron of stout wire mesh lying *on the ground* for a foot or two all around the tractor -- you can make it hinged to flip up for easier moving of tractor -- works pretty well.

The biggest disadvantage -- and to my mind, it is a HUGE one -- of having a mesh floor *in* the tractor is that it prevents the chickens from scratching, which is such a basic aspect of chicken behavior. Also if there is wire on teh floor you run into issues with moving the tractor -- you have to pick the tractor up high enough for the mesh to clear the ground so you don't amputate toes sliding it along, etc.

Bare floor, apron around the outside, and shut 'em into the 'house' at night is by far the best way to go for most situations, IMO.

JMHO,

Pat

Quote:
I was wondering if an apron would work. I would really like my chickies to be able to scratch a little too. How far out do you put it? Is it removable or how do you move the cage with the apron attached?

Back
Top Bottom