Chicken wire massacre

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by teach1rusl, May 25, 2010.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

This morning, my MIL mentioned while she'd gone out to get her hair done, she'd seen a sign for free coop materials posted at a house a few miles out our road. I've always loved looking at this lady's chickens while driving up the road, sometimes in their run, and sometimes out ranging. Her rooster especially always caught my eye; he's just gorgeous! So I drove down the road w/my MIL to speak to the lady. The sign was gone, as somebody had already stopped by to claim the materials. So of course I asked her whether they'd built a new run for their birds. She told me that ALL of her chickens had been slaughtered by a raccoon a few days ago. Besides the obvious, the horror of it was that she could hear the attack and commotion, but there wasn't a light out there, and barely any moonlight, so she couldn't even do anything about it (she lives alone). Her pen was of chicken wire, covered on top as well. The raccoon had NO trouble tearing into it and killing her 8 hens and rooster. Had they been secured inside of their housing, even with the chicken wire, they most likely would have been fine. So for those who are deciding whether or not to use chicken wire on their pens, or whether or not to close their chickens inside at night, take heed. They weren't even my chickens, and I felt so sad for them; they were beautiful birds with no way to defend themselves in that situation. [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Thank you for posting this - I hope it saves some chicken's lives.

It's been said a million times on BYC - chicken wire will NOT keep out raccoons, dogs, or any other creature who wants a chicken dinner.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I've got new for ya.... Dogs and coyotes can get in chain link.... they stretch a hole big enough to fit thier head in and it is over... (experience)

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Electric fence was the best single $100 investment I made for this sort of venture.

5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    This is simply horrifying! If Hardware Cloth better than chicken wire? (i was going to bury it 2 feet down and a few feet up the chain link kennel)???

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Hardware cloth is the only way to go. And yes, bury it - we buried it 2' down. In three years, there's never been an animal attack.

[​IMG]

7. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:My thoughts exactly!

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That's terrible. Poor birds.

I have older chain link that is super heavy. I can't believe how flimsy some of the new dog pens are.

9. jenni2142

jenni2142 Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I use cattle fencing reinforced with small poultry netting-to keep their little heads in because there is grass on the other side. I have not had anything get through it in over 2 years. The cost was more but it is worth it to keep my babies safe. I have been thinking of adding a hotwire in the future. I always cringe inside when people talk about using just chicken wire. I use it to keep the chickens in while using other stuff to keep predators out. I also, always, lock everyone inside at night. Hardware cloth is not as strong as it used to be and when your run is over 25' x 35' and you have more than one it is not financially feasible.

10. naturesluxuries

naturesluxuries In the Brooder

May 19, 2009
    [​IMG] I lost 10 of my chickens last night to raccoons. I am so heart broken. Especially for my Mr. Penguin. He was a wonderful, sweet blue Amarucana and I will miss him so much. Anyone could go in the back yard and he would come up to you and wait to be snuggled. I also lost my Barnevelder breeders and my Delawares [​IMG] I have 4 hens left. Those raccoons. I know it is natural for them to do this but they were secured (I thought) in their coop. So heart breaking. I have spent the last 7 hours trying to secure the yard and am going to wait up tonight to catch the raccoons. We never had a problem with them before but now they know where their ""food"" is. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by