Chicken wire on the bottom of the run and other questions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bovine0001, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bovine0001

bovine0001 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    So here is my first, novice attempt at the coop and run:

[​IMG]
    You will notice the feeders and watering craziness. Right now they are small on their old chicken nipple, hidden in the picture but easily accessible.

Here is the inside shot, showing the floor wired.

[​IMG]

Then the Coop and wiring setup for a heating bulb with thermostat, as they are still only 3 weeks old and I am worried about them getting a little chilly. There is a a timer to run a 15watt bulb at night. (After they are big enough, I might rip all that out seeing as so many of you guys don't like this stuff [​IMG])

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has a back entrance to the run, latches are under the asphalt
    [​IMG]

Finally, a likely predator makes an appearance: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wired the bottom of the run for 2 reasons: 1. sneaky predators and 2. I mean to pick the whole think up and moved it at times, and the bottom wiring should help.

I know this will make it hard for the girls to scratch in the dirt as much, but my hope is this is a safer design. What do you folks think?

Please give me any constructive criticism you can offer, as I am a true novice.

thanks in advance.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    It looks nice little coop, but the chicken wire are not strong enough for racoons or other preditors, like foxes and such, if it was me I will put 14 gage wire instade. but the coop is really cute.

3. bovine0001

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:I don't know its gauge, but I have some thicker stuff, but with wider wholes, maybe 2"x3" or so. I could overlap it with this.

4. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    You definitely need something other than chicken wire. Construction wire/cloth is much more sturdy. You may also want to raise your roosting board to at least the top of the little window you have.

5. bovine0001

Jul 14, 2011
    Makes wonder if poultry wire is a scam.

6. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    They make a thicker wire with small square holes that works well. I dont think a coon can break what u have though I may be wrong .

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Agree with above about the wire. Putting a heavier guage over the existing wire would work fine, even if it has bigger holes.

8. bovine0001

Jul 14, 2011
    Any thoughts about the wire on the floor of the run?

9. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It's great and will at least provide some deterent from digging predators. But I would throw something else down on top of the wire, either dirt and/or wood chips. I would also by a roll of .5" x .5" galv hardware cloth/wire to attach to the chicken wire to prevent predators reaching thru, if you think they can't, believe me they can and will.

I had to put up what I'm recommending to you, if you look at the pics below, I think you can get an idea what I'm talking about with the additional wire and tree bark chip floor covering.

[​IMG]

You can see the blood drip from where 1 of 3 chickens was ripped apart from the inside and body parts pulled out thru the chicken wire holes.

[​IMG]

10. bovine0001

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:It's great and will at least provide some deterent from digging predators. But I would throw something else down on top of the wire, either dirt and/or wood chips. I would also by a roll of .5" x .5" galv hardware cloth/wire to attach to the chicken wire to prevent predators reaching thru, if you think they can't, believe me they can and will.

I had to put up what I'm recommending to you, if you look at the pics below, I think you can get an idea what I'm talking about with the additional wire and tree bark chip floor covering.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/83761_034_2.jpg

You can see the blood drip from where 1 of 3 chickens was ripped apart from the inside and body parts pulled out thru the chicken wire holes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/83761_029.jpg

Thanks for the info. A chicken friend/expert recommended straw as well. I got too much straw right now, so I will try that soon. Honestly, they are kinda small still and have a hard time in it, so I may wait a few more weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by