Chicken Wire & Racoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Country Parson, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Is chicken wire sufficient against racoons? I realize it won't keep out coyotes and other large predators. We do have some coyotes & foxes here, but by far my biggest problem is coons---lots and lots of them.

I just built a hoop house (but with solid sheet-metal wall for the ends), but now want to build another (more mobile) version. I plan on using chicken wire & 1x4s for the end walls.

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    coons can get into just about anything. Including chicken wire.

They've been known to actually pull the chicken THROUGH the wire (in bits ofcoarse)

And even bite the wire into. I'd recommend hardware cloth. It's alot 'sturdier'

even though a raccoon can still find a way into hardware cloth, it's better than chicken wire.

and will last longer.

read this. it has some helpful tips and info https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39419&p=2

-Becca

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    1/4 inch hardware cloth, skrewed every 4 inches into a good base like at least a 1 inch board. Use 1/4 inch washers with 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch wood sheetrock skrews. This is some kinda rugged.

4. ptots

ptots Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    brevard nc
    [​IMG] I actually had a coon as a pet for a couple years, many moons ago. To answer your question, NO.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    As everyone above has responded, chicken wire will not protect your birds from raccoons. If your birds are safely tucked away in a coop at night, the problem is minimized because coons are typically nocturnal. However, more and more raccoons are making use of daytime hours to find food though most tend to be somewhat disoriented in the daytime. Can't trust it implicitly though.
    JJ

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Raccoons = Purchase electric fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by