1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken wire vs. fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nkelly, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Nkelly

Nkelly Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    I currently have a large fenced area with 2 goats. The fence is 2 inch square. I would like to add hens to the goat pen and have them cohabitate. Do I need to do change my fencing or will this work? Does it depend on the breed of hens? We are thinking of getting Bantys and RIR. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is tall, it will suffice. Goat-type wires will be stronger than chicken wire anyway. You could put chicken wire at the bottom of the goat's fencing to make the holes smaller at the bottom.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Fence is Ok. Bantys are only small when chicks and you need to keep them away from trampling goat until mature. Even the small banties when grown cant get thru a 2 inch fence opening. The chickens will stay clear of the goats if they feel threatened. I don't think you have killer goats. BEST WISHES

4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

How tall is the fence? My bantams can fly near as good as robins, but I do not worry about keeping them contained because they are free range. If you plan on confining them, you may want to cover it.

5. Nkelly

Jan 4, 2015
    The fence is 4 ft high. The goats might need a little time to adjust to sharing space, but as kids they shared space with chickens and ducks. Is it recommender to clip wings? It's a large area, not feasible the cover.

6. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    I have personally never clipped wings. They come back...worry about predators sometimes. My chicks do okay with the goats. Sometimes the goats chase them though.
    Chicken wire around the bottom is a good idea.

7. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    Unless your fence is really high, you'll have at least one chicken escape artist in your flock if not all of them. We've got a smaller EE who routinely ends up in treetops. :) We changed her name from Louise to Lou-dini.

What sort of coop will you have / do you have for the birds?

8. Nkelly

Jan 4, 2015
    Haven't started a coop yet. That is still in the planning phase. More thinking of shed to roost for night and allow them to free range throughout the day.

9. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC

If your chickens can free range safely, that's wonderful. So, you're planning on closing the chickens in for the night? Most of the predators in our neck of the woods are "dark" predators. The main exception to that is hawks.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Make sure your goats can't get to the chicken feed......it will make them sick if they gorge out on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by