chicken wire

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Naughty, May 8, 2011.

1. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I know chicken wire isn't predator proof - but does it keep young chicks in pretty well? I have a chain link dog run that I will be lining with it for a day play area for the babies - all but 3 are pretty big - but the youngest are only about 2 weeks.

they will only be out while i am there - the run is covered and they are actually in the middle of my larger chicken yard - so it wont be a problem there

the holes are about an inch - so can a 2 wk old chick get out of holes that small?

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Possibly....One of my 4 week olds got her head stuck in chicken wire. (temporarily--I rescued her) Is there any way you could double the wire on the bottom, so that the two layers create a barrier that is less than one inch? Make sure you get the wire down to the ground, too.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yes. Not only that, they will go through one layer of fence and get stuck between the two layers. I learned it the hard way, lol.

4. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    i have the layers pretty close - and tied together at the bottom so should be pretty safe - i think i'll wait on the youngest babies to put them in

the oldest ones need to be out though - lol my brooder is too crowded and it topped 100 today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by