Chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jencleg, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I have a 10x10 kennel. We are going to install 10x6 boards (a frame) all along the base of the kennel in order to keep the sand inside the fence. Our chickens will be locked in the coop every night to sleep, so can I just use chicken wire along the base? Are we just trying to prevent a reach thru?

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Hardware cloth, not chicken wire. Coons can still reach through chicken wire. You are trying to prevent that AND ALSO digging. Make it an apron, like this (Note: It was staked down into the ground w/ tent stakes after this pic was taken):

[​IMG]

3. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I was planning the apron part...I just thought since they would mainly only be out when we were home during the day, and the wooden frame would limit the ground access (?) that the chicken wire might be sufficient....

4. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    <shrug> Mine are inside their coop at night, too. But occasionally I am late coming home and they are late going into their house--in the wintertime, dark comes at 5 p.m.! I'm much more relaxed knowing that my hardware cloth apron is there to protect them. IMO it's worth it to do it right the first time, and hardware cloth isn't measurably more expensive than chicken wire. [​IMG]

5. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:I agree...My husband had already purchased the chicken wire, but I was a little bit worried about it. Just looking for some reasurance one way or the other. Thank you! [​IMG]

6. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    I've several friends who've experienced daylight attacks from predators that typically attack only in the evening hours. Here, when it gets really dry, food can get scarce and predators get desperate.

Hardware cloth is the only way to go.

7. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I put the hardware cloth completely covering the entire floor and I'm glad I did. I have rats digging holes under the run and you can see where the sand is caving in on their tunnels. I just had a friend who had a rat dig up from underneath and in 2 days (she was away) the rat took all 4 chicks (not full grown, but not babies). Poor things were probably grabbed and pulled down in the holes and eaten. I don't under-estimate rats...I have seen them chew through rusty hardware cloth and get into my rabbit hutch. I have seen them make tunnels so big and so long that I constantly check for holes in my run even though I have the floor covered. They are attracted to my run because of the food and water that now I have more than ever. Hunting rats has become my obsession since owning chickens. I hate rats. [​IMG] Just yesterday a rat lay dying next to the run (from the poison I put in his tunnel)...he wasn't dead yet, so my DH put him down with a pellet gun, but there he was...coming back for more. I'll probably have a new hole in a day with a new rat to take out. And mind you, I wouldn't hurt a fly. But rats I have no feelings for. They're relentless vermin would wouldn't hesitate to start eating a chicken alive.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Bless your heart! I apologize for my ignorance, all I have learned, I have learned in the last few weeks from this site. We live in a neighborhood on the out skirts of town & we have never had or seen pest/predator problem....but we have never had chickens before either! I would alos add that as for the non-diggers, we are going to install an electric fence.

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We used chicken wire. Maybe it's different here but hardware cloth is a LOT more expensive than chicken wire at all the stores here. Our chicks are locked up at night and I'm hoping our dog keeps any critters away that might wander around at night.

10. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Seriously? How much more expensive? Neither is very expensive, all things considered. I think I spent maybe $20 on my hardware cloth apron!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by