Chicken wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chesca, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Chesca

Chesca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Wichita
    Is it just me or is the chicken wire the most expensive part of building everything? I've been scouring craigslist, haven't found much of anything on there. found some chicks, right after I ordered some! and a couple low cost feeders.... but I just bought a bit of chicken wire, the 1/2 squares I believe, and it was $15 for only 10 feet? I'm trying to go low budget on this coop to make the chickens monetarily worth it. I'm looking forward to having them period, but I would like them to be a good investment. I've found a couple pallets in fantastic shape, look brand new. I plan on making the coop out of them and left over lumber. maybe buy a couple $1.83 2 x 4s. has anyone found a good source for cheaper chicken wire? and what type do you use? I used the small stuff for my quail and rabbit when I was a kid b/c we had critters ready to eat them if given the chance!

thanks, glad I found the site! can't wait for my chicks to get here :)

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The 1/2" sq stuff is actually called Hardware Cloth. I differentiate because if people think you are using actual Chicken Wire (the 1" round holes), they will jump all over you, telling you that Chicken Wire is NOT predator proof.

$15 for 10' definitely sounds high. It will be more expensive in smaller quantities. I will be doing some fencing in the near future so priced Hardware Cloth just last week, so can give you some fairly precise figures for my area.

The 1/2" squares will be more expensive than the Hardware Cloth with larger squares. For the bottom of the run, 1/2" is recommended so that raccoons can't stick their little hands through it and grab the birds and drag them through. Higher up, you can go with larger dimensions, which will be cheaper.

Around here, I can get a 50' roll of 4' Hardware Cloth for $30. If I want to go with 5' tall, I will pay $41.

3. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Oh LOL, after posting that I saw you are also from Wichita. In that case I can tell you those prices are from Menards East. I'm also planning on checking out the pricing at Lowes, HD and TSC before purchasing.

4. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Wow. Around *here* ( Virginia ), a 25 ft roll of 36" hardware cloth is $37.00!
    I'm not sure I would say "jump all over"....lets face it, the real chicken wire is pretty much useless, its so flimsy. But since its called chicken wire, most folks think that's what one uses, until they learn better, either from someone else's experience or their own.

5. Chesca

Jan 30, 2012
    Wichita
    oh awesome! I see you're also smack dab in the middle of the US! haha. yeah, I'd love to know where you get 50 feet for $30. and yes, my bad on the terminology, it is "hardware cloth." I just bought a roll from home depot because I figured it'd be easiest to buy supplies gradually.... I'm going to need it eventually and I was already at the store. but yea, definitely let me know on prices. I wondered about Menards, they seem to always have everything and cheaper prices, but I had a horrible experience there and swear-ed I wouldn't shop there again! what part of Wichita are you in?

6. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I know what you mean about Menards. I had a really good experience at Menards West when they first opened last year and I bought a shed kit there. But last week when I was at Menards East, I wasn't so impressed. There were a few things I needed to look at, one of them being the fencing (that's where I saw the 50' roll of 4' for just under $30). I also wanted to look at various types of hurricane ties for roofing and wasn't sure what section I'd find them in. So I asked an employee who clearly had no idea what a "hurricane tie" is. So I explained what it is used for and her face kind of brightened and she said "Oh, those are in Hardware - on the right side of the aisle". What she failed to mention is that the hardware department consists of many, many aisles - not just one, and when I eventually found what she had been referring to (as far as I know), they were metal plates that ARE used to connect things but they were $5/apiece!

While I was searching for those, I was passed by several employees who always greeted me in a friendly manner but didn't offer any assistance. One of them passed me twice and I was clearly looking for something but each time he just sang out "Hello there" and kept walking. I finally gave up looking for the real hurricane ties and decided to leave, and was passed by several employees who, despite the fact I was headed for the door empty-handed, didn't think to ask if they could help me find something. And on my way through the door, someone at the customer service desk called out "thanks for coming in".

So clearly, they have the "friendly" part down, but don't seem to be aware that friendly doesn't sell. Helpful sells.

Hmmmm...didn't realize it bothered me so much - sorry for the book [​IMG] What was your question again? Oh - what part of Wichita? I am currently on the west side, but getting ready to move out of town to a 10-acre property we have purchased. Actually, technically its not ours yet as we don't close until March, but all the inspections have gone well so I don't think there's any reason we won't close. I'm psyched to get out there and start building my new coop!

7. Chesca

Jan 30, 2012
    Wichita
    yeah I had a price problem with Menard's, and the employee too. They had everything marked at 30% off or something of the sort, but they already took the 30% off the only price they advertised.... so when I got to the checkout I looked completely dumb b/c I thought I was getting the discount off the price. The lady at checkout said the way they do things is to already include the discount in the price... but it's the only price you see, so you THINK you're getting an awesome deal, when the truth is you're just getting a pretty normal price. Anyway, with the way the clerk acted towards me, being a total b**ch, I was absolutely fuming. buuuuuut that might be too good of a price for some hardware cloth! haha. We should all meet up at the Donut Whole for some coffee and donuts one morning for chicken talk, they have the rooster as their symbol/mascot!

8. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Believe it or not, I've never been to The Donut Whole. There are quite a few of us from Wichita now but yeah, I'm game.

9. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    I use 2x4 welded wire over 1 inch chicken hex wire found it to be the cheapest way as hardware cloth around here runs over 100 dollars for 50 feet...I get the welded wire for 125 for 150 feet and 35 for 150 feet of the hex.

10. actressbarbie

actressbarbie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Sorry I didnt have time to read everyone else's posts...chicken wire will keep the chickens in but hardware cloth will keep predators out. It's worth the cost..trust me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by