Chicken with 9 lives

redbarn5

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Three weeks ago my dear Paprika got torn apart by a dog (owner was served a citation for unleashed dog). She has been in vet care ever since. She's been stapled together, on antibiotics, pain meds, force fed for days on end, and is sleeping in a cage in a bedroom. The vet made her a jacket of sorts out of patterned fleece to hold her bandages in place. The vet lets her out in the garden to peck and poke and get fresh air and to be near other chickens (separated of course). Saturday the vet tells me a giant raptor flew down to get her, there were feathers everywhere, etc. but the raptor didn't succeed in taking Paprika. Could the coat she was wearing have prevented claws from getting a good grip? Could the coat have attracted the eagle, hawk, owl, whatever it was? She has new puncture wounds, but not as severe as the dog attack. I cannot believe my poor bird was attacked yet again! Poor thing. My vet bill must be up to $8,000 now for a $4.00 bird. Insanity!!!
hmm.png
Pray for Paprika. This is one heck of a chicken with a strong will to live for sure! Long live Paprika!

64995_paprika_with_coat_on.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear. Our flock was attacked by a dog too and I can't imagine how I would feel if they were then attacked by a hawk. Man, I hope she is ok...and that the vet bills are small. Since it was on their watch I'm sure they won't charge you for any care resulting from the hawk. Right:) Paprika is obviously meant to live!

That is one lucky girl, to survive those attacks...!! I would take your vet. bill and personally deliver it to the dogs owner.You may have to go to small claims court , but why should you foot the bill...? Sadly, this is the only way some dogs owners will learn to keep better control of their dog, hit them in the pocket..
Even if it was a rare escape for the offending dog, the owner should still be held responsible and pay the vet bills...Hope your tough little hen makes a full recovery..!

Whew that bird is lucky to be alive! I agree with the other post...I would send the dog owner the vet bill! That along with the citation should help encourage them to keep their dog up and away from your birds!!!

Good luck to you and your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom