Chicken with a bad leg - all of a sudden!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waddo, Dec 15, 2009.

1. waddo

waddo New Egg

Dec 15, 2009
    I live in Northern Cyprus and have only just started to keep chickens (Got 6 and 1 Rooster last May, now have 15 and two Roosters!) so I am learning as I go along. I keep them well fed and watered and inside a good sized chicken run attached to their own purpose built chicken house. Yesterday, during house cleaning, they all escaped into the garden and I let them wander around the fields and clover stuffing themselves and having fun. When I chased them back into the run one of them had a limp! Today she can not seem to put any weight on that leg and it is sticking out in front of her with the foot looking all limp. I have checked her for broken bones and all appears to be well along with no signs of pain at all. Just wondering if a chicken can dislocate a leg or is there something common that they do to injure a leg?
    Currently isolated in a separate pen so she can get plenty to eat and just chill out and relax - any ideas?

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Sure, they can dislocate, just like anything with a joint. Do a search on the board for Maran's and watch for symptoms. I had a rooster do this not too long ago, it was NOT maran's, I think he broke his leg. DH had to put him down, we babied him for about 2 weeks be he wasnt' getting any better.

3. waddo

waddo New Egg

Dec 15, 2009
    So how can you tell if the leg is dislocated? I don't want to put her in any pain if I can help it and I do not think it is broken at all - unless it is a kind of green stick fracture that is a split bone rather than a broken bone. She will lay quite still and allow movement of the leg and she can move it on her own as well, seems to be more of a sprain than anything??

4. waddo

waddo New Egg

Dec 15, 2009
    So how can you tell if the leg is dislocated? I don't want to put her in any pain if I can help it and I do not think it is broken at all - unless it is a kind of green stick fracture that is a split bone rather than a broken bone. She will lay quite still and allow movement of the leg and she can move it on her own as well, seems to be more of a sprain than anything??

Life in Isolation is better than life in the EU - TRNC is for me​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by