Chicken with a bandage on leg

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
I had 17 chickens. Something tried to pull one of my Bantams through the coop and it broke her leg. She had surgery almost 3 weeks ago. A fox got 2 of my babies and my husband and I decided to rehome the remaining ones bc we can't afford to build a new coop and run to keep them safe. A guy got all 4 of my Bantams including the one that had surgery. I told him that she needed special care. She's supposed to go back to the vet Wednesday. I was wanting to go pick her up and take her but my husband is saying that she's not our responsibility anymore. :mad: I'm already heartbroken that I had to rehome them. I was very attached to this precious little girl. I dont want her hurt. Anyway, the vet told me that it could take 6 to 8 weeks for her to heal. Should I fit my husband on this? Or just let this guy tend to her? I've seen where a ton of people just wrapped popsicle sticks around chickens broken legs and they were fine. But I dont know if having to recover from surgery will be different. If I call the vet to ask her what to do, she'll tell me to bring her in. So i really need y'alls opinion on this. Thanks

I know how hard it is to give up chickens you love, but you did it because you wanted them to be safe. You no doubt trust this person or you wouldn't have given him your chickens. Understand they are his now.

It would be meddling to go get this injured hen, but you could call him and offer to take her to the vet for her checkup. Be prepared to have your good intentions turned down, but he may say, sure, the help would be appreciated.

I know how hard it is to give up chickens you love, but you did it because you wanted them to be safe. You no doubt trust this person or you wouldn't have given him your chickens. Understand they are his now.

It would be meddling to go get this injured hen, but you could call him and offer to take her to the vet for her checkup. Be prepared to have your good intentions turned down, but he may say, sure, the help would be appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss :hugs

I will give you may opinion. The birds are now the responsibility of the man who took them, it's up to him to see to their care.

Thank y'all very much. My husband says that I'm too emotionally attached. I guess I just needed someone other than him to tell me no.

Thank y'all very much. My husband says that I'm too emotionally attached. I guess I just needed someone other than him to tell me no.
:hugsI do understand, we get attached and worry about their well being. I've never re-homed anything, I think if I did, I would be like you always wondering if everyone is doing o.k.

:hugsI do understand, we get attached and worry about their well being. I've never re-homed anything, I think if I did, I would be like you always wondering if everyone is doing o.k.
I couldn't stand by and let a fox kill them all bc of my inability to make sure they have a safe home. :( I can promise you, that's the ONLY reason they were rehomed!

Sorry for your loss, but I agree, I think then hen is the mans responsibility now, I like the idea of offering to take her to the vet, but don't get your hopes up.

I couldn't stand by and let a fox kill them all bc of my inability to make sure they have a safe home. :( I can promise you, that's the ONLY reason they were rehomed!

You did the right thing by re-homing them - you had their best interest in mind.

I hope in the future that you will be able to fix your coop/run and get some more sweet chickies. Several years ago we built our coop but then an emergency came up so we couldn't finish everything- I was very disappointed. My coop sat empty for almost
1 1/2yrs before we could finish and I finally was able to get some babies. Life does not always turn out the way we want, but don't give up hope that someday you can have more.

You did the right thing by re-homing them - you had their best interest in mind.

I hope in the future that you will be able to fix your coop/run and get some more sweet chickies. Several years ago we built our coop but then an emergency came up so we couldn't finish everything- I was very disappointed. My coop sat empty for almost
1 1/2yrs before we could finish and I finally was able to get some babies. Life does not always turn out the way we want, but don't give up hope that someday you can have more.
Thank you. This was a very hard decision to make. I cried for 2 days over this particular little angel. And was crying again yesterday. I know shes "just a chicken" to everyone around me but she's not to me.

Back
Top Bottom