1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with a broken leg??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sassymygirl, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Sassymygirl

Sassymygirl Miss Equestrian

Sep 16, 2008
    Carencro, Louisiana
    I just brought home a sick hen from my friends.
    She's eating and drinking, a lot! But she has a hard time standing, when she stands, she wobbles and then she falls down. Does she have a broken leg? If so, what would be best for a sling?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, feel the leg, foot, and hip and see if you feel anything broken, loose, or just 'wrong'.

She was sick already? Was she attacked by anything?

If she was sick already, it could possibly be a serious disease...Let me look around before i try to make a diagnosis, and see if anyone has any adivce/opinions...

For a sling you'll need to know what part of the leg is injured, if its a break, sprain, or dislocated joint...It could be a week hip joint (hip dysplasia), in which case there is no cure or help for it in a chicken.

Good luck, and I'll return to check up.

3. Sassymygirl

Sassymygirl Miss Equestrian

Sep 16, 2008
    Carencro, Louisiana
    She was attacked by an owl about a week ago, she just lost a lot of feathers.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can figure out if she actually has an injured leg, and where/how it will help to tell you how to splint or sling it. Its going to depend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by