Chicken with a cold/adding new chickens???

stickdude515

Hatching
Feb 20, 2016
I have 2 chickens that are up in there years, they aren't laying anymore. One of them seems to have a "cold". I'm headed this weekend to pick up 4 hens 18 months old and a rooster. Should I keep them separate? Or get rid of the old non producing hens?

I would keep them separated for now, whether to cull or not I can't make that decision, if it seems bad I would, if the other one is fine again your choice and how you feel about your birds.

If one hen is showing symptoms, its highly likely that your other hen is not yet showing symptoms or has some immunity to whatever it may be (but possibly still carry the problem). Personally, I would cull both prior to receiving your new birds - don't mean to offend, and I am sorry if you are not that way inclined.

Changing topic a little, the recommended roo to hen ratio is 1:10, so if you can squeeze a few more hens into your purchase, it would be less stressful for your girls.

All the best
CT

Ok, so I was told to use sauerkraut. Feed them the sauerkraut and in a day or two it goes away. I thought that my grandmother in law was a wackadoodle when she told me this, but it worked for my girls!!!!

Regardless of whether the sauerkraut relieves the symptoms of the 'cold'.....
......your birds likely have a respiratory illness and even without visible symptoms will continue to carry it and infect your new birds.

I have recently acquired two year-old hens that have been separated from the rest of the younger flock except for one quick instance of "escape and mingle." One of the new hens is now showing cold-like symptoms (sneezing, shaking head, snot bubbles on nostrils). I am treating the whole flock with antibiotics, just in case. Do I get rid of the sick hen, both of the new hens, or is the damage already done and I should integrate them once the course of antibiotics is through and everybody seems to be feeling better?

I have recently acquired two year-old hens that have been separated from the rest of the younger flock except for one quick instance of "escape and mingle." One of the new hens is now showing cold-like symptoms (sneezing, shaking head, snot bubbles on nostrils). I am treating the whole flock with antibiotics, just in case. Do I get rid of the sick hen, both of the new hens, or is the damage already done and I should integrate them once the course of antibiotics is through and everybody seems to be feeling better?

Back
Top Bottom