1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken with a dodgy leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickchicks, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    hello

my chicken ruby has been limping for a few days ive checked her over and there is no green brusing or bakes

she does occasionally use this leg when hopping around but i am a little concerend as i am new to chickensthis year.

im guessing its a sprain as the area on her legas the knee? is a little warmer than the rest you can bend it and move around and she is not in pain there is no crying or anything , she does not seem to grip though then i pit my finger under her claw asshe should do,
    she is a new bird and gets chased about a little but when this happens she does have a good run on her.

is there anything i can do for her as i am guessing this is something that willheal on its own , im just worried that since she is hopping about everwhere theothers may catch on and bully her more and more to the point of a bad injury .

- her sister came the sametime isfine and has started to integrate a little leaving ruby behind from time to time so im not sure what to do ....

any advice thank you

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    if she were mine, this is what I would do
    1. I'd check the bottom of her feet for a bumblefoot scab or any swelling
    2. I'd bring her in in a cat carrier. The stable temperature indoors combined with restricting her movement would help her body to heal any strain or mild injury.
    3. Give her a bit of meat or egg for protien and vitimins in the water for her body to use to heal
    4. Massage around the joint a little. It will increase circulation and therefore healing

I'd probably keep her in a small space for two days or until I saw improvement. I've done this before for this long with a hen and had no problems putting her back with the flock.
    If after two days she wasn't showing any improvement she's be off to the vet!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thanks

ive looked at the foot thereis nothing there just normal looking,

i have sat with her for 5 mins everyday and massaged - it does seemto help as shewalks onit more afterwards.

as she already is getting picked on taking her away and puting her backwillmake no difference then i guess.

i have a dog at home...... heloves the chickens but i would not trust any dog to be left alone witha chicken , if i buy a crate (i dontown one ) wouldit be a good idea to lock a room up and leave it onthe floor or stick herup high inthe crate somewhere?

i know silly questions but if i know now i cant make a mistake [​IMG]

also i have seen on here people talking about giving the chickens baby sprin what is this and how - not planning on giving her anything like this as she is not in pain but i think future knowlegse may be handy.

is albas oil or cod liver oil any good for chickens as codoil can be ate and albas is a rub for joints for us.

we dont have and chicken verts any wherenear buy so i hope my dog vet can help if its needed figers crossed

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Yeah close her in a room, better safe than sorry.

You could even put her in a crate in the coop if the weathers ok. Just to stop her from running around too much.

I have head a hot joint can mean an infection too. But see what a few days of stillness and massage does.

Baby asprin is asprin for babies. from memory (don't quote me!) you can also use just less than a 1/4 of a normal aspirin. I believe people crush it up and put it in their water?
    I wouldn't use it though because aspirin thins the blood and if her limping is caused by an internal injury she could bleed out and die. I wouldn't risk it.

5. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thank you ,

i was more curious on whatit is and does than anything as i read on here people using it anddid not understand why .

im more inclined to do what you have suggested and maybe give her a treat to make her happy maybe eggs and corn [​IMG]
    she is a fussy eater as i only have hadher a few weeks and so far eatschicken pelets and corn about 5 days ago worked out grapes it was afunny sight to watch:)
    i hope she is ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by