chicken with a dodgy leg

chickchicks

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
warrington uk
hello

my chicken ruby has been limping for a few days ive checked her over and there is no green brusing or bakes

she does occasionally use this leg when hopping around but i am a little concerend as i am new to chickensthis year.

im guessing its a sprain as the area on her legas the knee? is a little warmer than the rest you can bend it and move around and she is not in pain there is no crying or anything , she does not seem to grip though then i pit my finger under her claw asshe should do,
she is a new bird and gets chased about a little but when this happens she does have a good run on her.

is there anything i can do for her as i am guessing this is something that willheal on its own , im just worried that since she is hopping about everwhere theothers may catch on and bully her more and more to the point of a bad injury .

- her sister came the sametime isfine and has started to integrate a little leaving ruby behind from time to time so im not sure what to do ....

any advice thank you

if she were mine, this is what I would do
1. I'd check the bottom of her feet for a bumblefoot scab or any swelling
2. I'd bring her in in a cat carrier. The stable temperature indoors combined with restricting her movement would help her body to heal any strain or mild injury.
3. Give her a bit of meat or egg for protien and vitimins in the water for her body to use to heal
4. Massage around the joint a little. It will increase circulation and therefore healing

I'd probably keep her in a small space for two days or until I saw improvement. I've done this before for this long with a hen and had no problems putting her back with the flock.
If after two days she wasn't showing any improvement she's be off to the vet!

Last edited:
thanks

ive looked at the foot thereis nothing there just normal looking,

i have sat with her for 5 mins everyday and massaged - it does seemto help as shewalks onit more afterwards.

as she already is getting picked on taking her away and puting her backwillmake no difference then i guess.

i have a dog at home...... heloves the chickens but i would not trust any dog to be left alone witha chicken , if i buy a crate (i dontown one ) wouldit be a good idea to lock a room up and leave it onthe floor or stick herup high inthe crate somewhere?

i know silly questions but if i know now i cant make a mistake
smile.png

also i have seen on here people talking about giving the chickens baby sprin what is this and how - not planning on giving her anything like this as she is not in pain but i think future knowlegse may be handy.

is albas oil or cod liver oil any good for chickens as codoil can be ate and albas is a rub for joints for us.

we dont have and chicken verts any wherenear buy so i hope my dog vet can help if its needed figers crossed

Yeah close her in a room, better safe than sorry.

You could even put her in a crate in the coop if the weathers ok. Just to stop her from running around too much.

I have head a hot joint can mean an infection too. But see what a few days of stillness and massage does.

Baby asprin is asprin for babies. from memory (don't quote me!) you can also use just less than a 1/4 of a normal aspirin. I believe people crush it up and put it in their water?
I wouldn't use it though because aspirin thins the blood and if her limping is caused by an internal injury she could bleed out and die. I wouldn't risk it.

thank you ,

i was more curious on whatit is and does than anything as i read on here people using it anddid not understand why .

im more inclined to do what you have suggested and maybe give her a treat to make her happy maybe eggs and corn
smile.png

she is a fussy eater as i only have hadher a few weeks and so far eatschicken pelets and corn about 5 days ago worked out grapes it was afunny sight to watch:)
i hope she is ok

Back
Top Bottom