1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with a green leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kate F, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Kate F

Kate F New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Springville, IN
    One of our 2 month old chicks has 1 green leg. It is slightly warmer than the other leg with maybe a sore on the back of the leg joint. Washed it with an iodine and water solution from a tip I found on this site.....any ideation? Didn't see anything else wrong with the leg under the feathers....

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you have any pictures?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Pictures really help, and since you are new, you may need to post a couple of more times to add pictures. Green skin sometimes is from bruising in chickens, so she could have injured the leg. Here is an example or two of a bruise:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. FatChicksDigMe

FatChicksDigMe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    That looks scary! Poor chook...I hope you find out what's going on with her:)

5. Kate F

Kate F New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Springville, IN
    I can't get my pic to load (way out here in the boonies) but I wondered if it was bruised. She isn't favoring the leg. I should be able to get pics up tomorrow

6. Kate F

Kate F New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Springville, IN
    So an update - our chicken still has a green leg...nothing seems wrong with her, it doesn't bother her, she walks fine, no issues...just the top part of one of her legs is green. So, guess it is just coloring...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by