Chicken with a growth on her beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alpha Chick, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Alpha Chick

Alpha Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    I have a Wyandotte that is about 16 weeks old. In the past week or two she has started to develop a growth on the top of her beak. The bottom of the growth looks like beak material and color. As it get further away from the body the growth is white. The whole thing is not huge but looks like a large white head you might see on a teenager.

Any thought on what it could be and whether it can be hazardous to the girl's health?

Thanks.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    f you could please post a picture it will help....Can you take a q-tip or something and see if the very top is soft or hard.....
    It seems for the description that your chick has injured her beak (either from fencing, pecking or perhaps rubbing on the foo dish).
    This can cause an open wound an if she keeps bumping it....then it will cause a calcium formation on the beak (sort of looking like a pimple) [​IMG]

I suggest cleansing the beak Twice a day and putting an antiseptic cream on it (one that has Chlorhexidine in it if you can...this ingredient helps fight against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria)

Keep an eye on her and watch to see that it does not get infected.

Hope this helps..
    Best Wishes,
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by