1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with a hurt / twisted leg? [updated] please help :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Frenzie, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Hi everyone, my GoldenLaced Wyandotte, Willow has been limping. I checked for any cuts, there are none, and no bumblefoot.

When she was a baby, one of her toenails accidently got smashed, and that bled a little. But when she grew up she was doing fine- but she's limping again. She usually falls to a side, but if she lays down to sunbathe, or fell, she cannot get back up without help from a human.Then all the older birds(Her hatchmates encourage her to get up) peck at her, and pull out feathers.

But we've had Willow inside for about an hour a day, just letting her calm down and having food and water since she can't stand up for a long time. She seems to be healthy if she could walk.
    Do you think she twisted her leg? Or is this the cause of loosing a whole toenail? My mom had an idea of wrapping it, so does anyone know how? And would it help?

But my other girl, Daisy has only 2 toenails (We rescued her) and she's strong, doesn't limp, and is fine.

So, if we should wrap it, how?

If you guys need to look at her leg, I have some pictures:
    Willow's both legs
    [​IMG]
    Behind her foot
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any inputs, [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Can anyone help? =/.