chicken with a yucky butt!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mom wewantchicks!, Oct 4, 2008.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    ok so this might not be a terrible emergency, but its gross!! one of my BA has a gross butt!! at first i was worried it might be an egg,but its not,its just poo!! this is one of the nicest chickens we have and the kids are always picking her up,so it makes it even worse!! how do i clean it off? i tried just rinsing it off with water but it didnt help!!

2. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    how old is the chicken?
    you can try soaking her in some warmish water and then cutting away the feathers so you can get the poop off.

3. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    she was born early april so......6ish months old. she has been laying for about 2 months. soaking i can do,how do i cut the feathers?

4. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    just cut off the feathers (I use my kids scissors so if she moved she wont stab herself) around the butt area so there isnt anything for poo to stick to. You can put vaseline or baby oil around the area where the poo is sticking so the poo will just slide off (once you have got the butt all clean)
    What are you feeding?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. mom wewantchicks!

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    i am feeding layer crumbles,treats,and they free range most of the day. i have 5 other chickens and none have the same problem! tommorow when dh is home, i will try the feather trim!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by