1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken with Abdominal infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FloridaChick88, Jun 6, 2018.

1. FloridaChick88

FloridaChick88 Chirping

Jul 7, 2016
    Yesterday I noticed my hen was acting lethargic and her comb had a slightly purple tinge. Today she showed no improvement so I took her out to put her in a hospital pen and her abdomen felt swollen like a water balloon. I got an 18 gauge needle and syringe because assumed she might have ascites. However when I withdrew the fluid instead of it being straw colored it is a dark greenish brown which I have read means she has an infection. (See photo)

There are no poultry vets in my area, is there any antibiotic I can give her?

I withdrew almost 70mls of fluid and there is still more in her abdomen but I didn’t want to drain it too fast and put her into shock.

Please help I’m very attached to this girl :(

Attached Files:

KikisGirls likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
  3. FloridaChick88

FloridaChick88 Chirping

Jul 7, 2016
    The only antibiotics I have handy right now is Tylan50. I might be able to get some amoxicillin from the local fish store.

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. FloridaChick88

FloridaChick88 Chirping

Jul 7, 2016
    What is the correct dosage of amoxicillin?

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    250mg per day for an average adult chicken.

KikisGirls and FloridaChick88 like this.
  6. FloridaChick88

FloridaChick88 Chirping

Jul 7, 2016
    I just got the meds. It is in capsule form. Do I just give her the whole 250mg at one time or do i need to divide up the dose? If so, how? Does it need to be dissolved in water?

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Amoxicillin dosage is (125mg/kg) that translates to 57mg per 1pound of weight given 2times a day for 7days. You can mix it with a little yogurt.
    (I also put this information on your other thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/amoxicillin-dosage.1250675/)

Hopefully the antibiotics will give her some short term relief and make her more comfortable.

8. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry you're going through this. :hugs I've drained a few myself and I normally drain as much fluids as I can, which is usually about 500 ml.

You can try the amoxicillin as Wyorp Rock suggested, but something like Bayril is probably a better antibiotic for this.
    http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/baytril.html
    https://ladygouldianfinch.com/product_baytril.php
    http://gamebirdsupplies.com/eng/item/5/1/enroxil-10-25ml
    It is banned for use in poultry, but this is what I would use if I were in your shoes.

Have you seen posts from Speckledhen? She has lots of experience with this sort of problem.

KikisGirls and Wyorp Rock like this.
  9. FloridaChick88

FloridaChick88 Chirping

Jul 7, 2016
    02FD2326-CE79-49DF-A871-055E2F1566B2.jpeg Thank you all for your recommendations. I tried the antibiotics for 4 days. She was showing no improvement and had stopped eating and drinking on her own. I decided that there was no need to prolong her suffering so my vet agreed to euthanize her for me. Have any of you ever seen/dealt with blackish green fluid draining from a hens abdomen? I’m just curious as to what might have caused this. She was laying up until the time she started acting lethargic last week.

Attached Files:

KikisGirls and speckledhen like this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss. :hugs I have seen that in a couple of mine and I think @speckledhen has too. I think when it's that color it means infection, but I could be wrong. :idunno Again, sorry for your loss, :hugs

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: