1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with an eye booboo..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by toredano, May 4, 2009.

1. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    One of my hens has what seems to have either something in her eye and its irritated or maybe an infection. It had it when we bought them but I failed to catch it until after we got it home. She is a sweet little baby hen and I am sure if I brought her back they would have just culled her. So .. I got a broad specrtum antibiotic for the waterer, in case its a disease that can spread and is/can be contagious and this way my others get some protection.
    I am not familair with chicken diseases .. but i think she might have gotten pecked in her eye or maybe scratched. Its not pussy .. just runny with clear fluids and red underneath. She eats , poops and drinks fine. Maybe someone else had a similar case or the same stuff happening to their chick. Not sure on the age but less that 18 to 20 weeks old.. they have not started laying any eggs.
    The pictures are not that clear but you can see her eye is irritaed and reddish underneath.I am thinking she might got scratched or pecked. They did live in a larger flock before this. I am just hoping with the antibiotics it will clear up. I would hate to lose her since she is such a sweet girl. Separating is NOT a option right now..Thats why I am giving the antibiotics to all of them via their water intake.

Any ideas on what this might be? Anything else I could do ?
    Thanks

petra

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not sure. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Hopefully someone will chime in here with some experience.

3. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    One of my RIR pullets had this too. She was fine the day we brought her home but the next day her one eye was watering and all red/swollen. I was cleaning her eye with a warm rag and actually putting antibiotic in to her eye for a few days. The entire time she was eating and drinking fine. After about 3 days, I stopped. Her eye was not crusting or watering by that point.

Her eye is better now, but it will not open all the way. She is doing great other than her eye. She eats, poos, drinks and runs around with the other pullets. I only treated her w/the antibiotic for those 3 days and the following week, all my pullets went outside. No problems since.

4. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    Quote:What kind of antibiotic did you use? The name would be helpful.
    And I am not sure if she got pecked into her eye or not.. if its a injury and its not infected not sure what to give her then. Steroids prolly would help I think.
    I seen a tube of it at our local Co Op ( optalmic stuff ) but I thought maybe its something maybe others can catch and thats the reason I got the broad spectrum antibiotics for the others also..Cant hurt and I am thinking since they dont lay eggs yet it wont harm the eggs since it will be worked out of their system by then.
    Its just frustrating taht she is like that. Dogs, cats and horses I can take care off and doctor up pretty good.. I have way more experience with them that chicken.
    I just have to wait a week or so until the antibiotics kick in I think.

Also there is a feed at the store that is medicated. Not sure on the name but its chicken crumbles. So maybe I get a bag of that also and feed it to them.

Petra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by