Chicken with an injured leg, also a newcomer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by soulshinemom, Sep 7, 2016.

1. soulshinemom

soulshinemom New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Hi. A short background so all of this makes sense- this is my first year as a chicken mom, and my first flock. I started with 6 Rhode Island reds and 6 white leghorns. Right around when they all started laying my neighbors dog got in the run and killed 6 of them- I heard the noise and came outside but even with kicking the dog- even with wrestling it the dog just kept getting chickens. I finally got the coop closed and the rest safe and got rid of the stupid dog- but I was now down to 6. A few weeks later I had the opportunity to buy 3 more hens and did so. I didn't know how far apart in age they actually were, I think I was mislead into thinking they are older and I had to separate them in an enclosed run inside my run. I take them in the coop at night and put them on the roost and nobody cares, then in the morning they hide until I get them back into their enclosure. They were very skittish when They got here understandably- and one in particular it's just really scared of everything . She's a silver laced Wyandotte and the other two are an Easter Agre and a black lace Wyandotte . Ever since I brought her here I've noticed that she's limping . I'm not sure if she hurt her leg during her transport - she was served along with the other two and do a cat carrier when I got there but I put them into a dog crate that was much bigger in my backseat . When they got here I tried to let them all get to know each other but it was very stressful and didn't work well which is why I separated them after checking this site for advice. It's been a few weeks now and the leg is no better but no worse . I'm no expert but I felt it extensively and I just can't feel anything with my hands that is wrong all the way up to the hip. She will bear some weight on it but not much and liens against walls and fences and she walks . She really just wants to hide in the corner when she's not eating or drinking which I've been letting her do . The problem is that I roost it's pretty high and I'm having to go in and get her up and down every day because she can't even hop into the coop from the run . I'd really like to help her and I know the best thing to do is to isolate her and a smaller cage and give her time to heal . My biggest concern is that she will not do well going back into the flock if I remove her because she's already so scared and is definitely bottom bird in the pecking order. I'm looking for advice on what I should do with her in order to have her heal but with the goal of bringing her back into the flock. Right now the other two that came along with her are good to her and don't hurt her but I'm afraid she will lose them as friends if I pull her out now . So I'm wondering what more experienced chicken parents would do in this situation? Thank you!

2. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Can we see a pic

3. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    But try to splint the chickens leh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by