Chicken with arthritis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mountain Peeps, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Hi all!

I was wondering if any of you has had to deal with a chicken with arthritis in the leg? I have a four year old buff orpington who has been hurting in her leg joint for the past month and a half. I currently have her leg joint wrapped up. I was wondering if any of you could share some insight or advice on how to further care for her?

I would REALLY appreciate it![​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Anyone have ideas?

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Do you have The Chicken Health Handbook? If so, it says the symptoms and treatment for arthritis in chickens. I could look it up for you if you want.

4. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I do have it. The info wasn't super helpful though. [​IMG]

Thanks anyway!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  5. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Your chicken could have either bacterial (staphyoloccal) arthritis or viral arthritis. If she has viral arthritis, all your chicken would have it. So that's not likely. She could have bacterial arthritis, however, so I would scrutinize the part of her leg that seems to be bothering her, and evaluate whether there seems to be inflammation and/or swelling. If there isn't any, then you aren't dealing with arthritis, and probably not a breakage of bones either. Check for coordination or possible muscle strains too. If she seems to avoid using a certain area of her leg, it's likely to be a muscle injury. I'm guessing that's what you are dealing with, or Gracie has what my Buff Orpington had earlier this year. To check for what my Buff Orp had, test the feeling in her legs. If there seems to be a lack of response to poking and pain, she is likely to be getting slow-moving paralysis of her legs like my hen.

I would say to try antibiotics for possible bacterial arthritis, but I would only do that if you are sure that's what she has, because improper use of antibiotics can be deadly.

6. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Also, I forgot to mention:

The best way to check to see if your chicken is experiencing paralysis is to do this: tuck the upper half (above the knuckle on a human) of the toe under the lower part of the toe and let the chicken stand by itself. If she immediately moves her toe up, then there's no paralysis because she felt the uncomfortable toe being tucked under. If she doesn't do anything, then she is experiencing paralysis and she has little feeling in her toes/feet, which is why she didn't move her toe up.

Hope Gracie will get better [​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info! She's very responsive to me squeezing both her legs in different areas. The best way to describe the way she hobbles is that she looks very stiff. Kind of like when you injury a muscle in your own leg and don't like to put weight on it.
    I'll try that Thanks!

And thanks for responding! [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    You're welcome. Could you possibly post a video of her walking?

9. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I can try.

10. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Ok, unfortunately it has to be on YouTube or vimeo to work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by