1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with bad limp.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Susan Hampshire, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Susan Hampshire

Susan Hampshire Chillin' With My Peeps

My 16 month old batam Hamburg developed a nasty limp over the last two days. I can't see anything on the foot or leg. I notice her 'elbow' is a little hot but it doesn't seem red or swollen. She is eating and drinking as normal. I have confined her to rest her, and given her multivitamins today. Is there anything else I should do ?

2. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Aspirin might be a good way to help her through whatever caused the lameness. I'm not sure of the dose (especially for a bantam)- but some rest and relaxation seems to help a good many things. Went through that with a cockerel - no bumblefoot or anything else - may have landed wrong, who knows! I want to say it was good after a couple of weeks, but it's been awhile. I hope someone else joins in with more specific ideas.

3. Susan Hampshire

Thank you.. will check the dosage...

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

She possibly landed wrong off the Roost..;)....Or if you have a Rooster ?...He possibly jumped on her wrong?....Have no worries..:)....It will heal..:)

Cheers!

6. Susan Hampshire

Thanks Chickensreally... I really hope so! No roo though, but the next best thing a really big 'bully gal' Hamburg x leghorn named Madge... she pushes all the other gals out of the way to get out every morning!..fingerscrossed all will be ok. Appreciate your positivity [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by