chicken with bare back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laruec, May 31, 2010.

1. laruec

laruec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    I have a buff, who I thought was moulting, but is not. She has a bare spot on her back (about 2 x2), and it has been that way since winter. She is the only one in my flock- which makes me think she is either being picked on by the others (although I've never witnessed this), or perhaps picking her own back. Should I worry about this (it's not spreading), is there something (like a spray), that I can put on her back to make it stop?

Help appreciated!

2. laruec

Apr 4, 2009
    I have seen some other posts by others that suggest a saddle (I"m just wondering if there are any other options...). We did have a roo this winter, and the buff was definitely his favorite... but he's been gone since early April now.

3. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    I have 12 hens and 2 roos. My poor girls are seriously threadbare. I used duct tape to make saddles for them. The did grow some feathers back, but I had to keep putting new tape on as it fell off after about a week. Now that its roaring hot out, I can't imagine the poor things with duct tape on their backs, so they are going open-back this summer. Planning to get rid of one roo and add another dozen hens. Hopefully, Ed won't be able to wear out that many girls!

Anyway, your hens will probably grow their feathers back when they molt. I suggest no more roos. I know I won't be getting any.

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 16 hens and one roo but he still wears 'em out....what gives? His "favorite" has no tail!

5. laruec

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks for the replies so far. Definitely no more roos for me- actually I have a battle with the town tomorrow night to keep my chickens (variance issues). I will look into the saddle. I've also heard of something called Bluecoat. It's to spray on the bare spot, and help it heal. Has anyone used this with success?

6. baustin

baustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Inyokern
    I have 5 of my hens that have bare backs. I have 4 that don't. I can't decide if it's caused by my "roo" or if the hens are picking on each other. From what I'm reading it could be either. Any suggestions? I was thinking of taking the "roo" out of the pen to see if that was the cause but if it's caused by the hens that won't help.

7. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

One of mine pecks ITSELF. She is out of tail feathers now. I am thinking of culling her but she is one of two orloffs and I think the other orloff would be sad without her. She always looks terrible though. She also always escapes so I'm afraid a predator will eat her soon if I don't. I'd make double orloff stew except right now they are laying real well. I guess I'll deal with the bare back.

I do have other chickens that the roo is causing feather loss, but I don't think he cares for these two very much.

My roo is extremely active though.

8. baustin

May 5, 2009
    Inyokern
    My roo is very active also. I have a spare pen since I just extended my chicken area and I think I'll seperate him from his harem for a while and see if they'll grow their feathers back. If he's the cause they should. If not then they must pick on one another. I have four that are just fine. Maybe the five that have bare backs are Daddy'O's favorites.

9. laruec

Apr 4, 2009
    Separating the roo might help, but may be necessary for a while. My roo has been gone since early April, and her back is still bare. I did read up on Blue-Kote. It's a spray (sold at places like Tractor Supply- local farm stores, etc). Apparently you spray it on wounds, or places where there are no feathers. It has an icky taste, so the chickens stop pecking, and it is supposed to help the feathers grow back. I'm going to give it a try.

10. baustin

May 5, 2009
    Inyokern
    I think I'll look into that also. A friend of mine said she uses grated lemon rind mixed in oil and water and sprays it on. They don't like the taste I guess. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll see if I can find it around here and if not I'll find it online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by