Chicken with birth defects

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lizziegurney, Jun 8, 2016.

1. lizziegurney

lizziegurney New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Banbury , United Kingdom
    Hi all got a question we rescued a pekin bantam female(7months old) really great little lady I understand pecking order process and are slowly introducing her to flock it's very clear she will be bottom of order as our garden is big enough to have two flocks was wondering if I got some younger birds would it be easier on her to settle in and maybe be head hen within new flock I just hate to think of her being bullied non stop she is born blind in one eye which don't effect her at all her beak alittle hooked so will trim it off and bath her as feet caked in dried mud and feathers matted so those a needs will be meet just want to make her life little easier any advice guys x x

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That is very kind of you to rescue the poor thing! First off, I think (if you haven't already) you should treat her for mites/lice and deworm her. Just in case! Then when you're sure she's clean and poses no risk to the rest of your flock, find her some buddies to hang out with. Getting younger chickens for company, so she can be flock leader sounds like a very good idea. Get her some chick friends that are 3-4 months old if you can. They will tough enough to handle some bossing around while still too young to argue with her [​IMG] Best of luck!

3. lizziegurney

lizziegurney New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Banbury , United Kingdom
    Hi sumi yeah that was the first thing I did she looked clear but took her to vets and treated her for lice and worms as thought if they did not care for outside little chance did inside that's put my mind at rest as she practical walks head to ground due to being picked on by guys flock she is so sweet want to give her best life I can many thanks x x as seen in picture she's whiter one see how low she stands [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Sumi, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she still ends up being bullied, you might consider having her as a house chicken. Please check out the "people with house chickens," thread. I'm sure she will get on fine. Do you free range your flock or have them in an enclosed run? With partial blindness, she would be a predator magnet but, then breeds like Polish & Silkie are, even with two functional eyes.

I hope you will update her story.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

How nice of you to rescue her! I would keep a handicapped bird by themselves or with a tiny flock that gets along with her. Never keep a bird in a flock that is going to be bullied. Her present flock is never going to see her as healthy enough and she can end up dying because they are preventing her from eating or drinking. I see this a lot in our Emergency forums. So I do suggest you remove her as soon as possible. Keep her as a house pet, or get her a group of birds, even young birds to start so that SHE is the flock leader, so she can live a good life. Being bullied is a horrible way to live. I have a friend her on BYC that had a chick with extremely poor vision and wasn't fit to be in even the brooder as they were picking on her. So after the chick grew up a bit, she added some really small chicks with this disabled bird and now the bird is flock leader and she is not being picked on anymore. The bird has a renewal on life.

Good luck with her, she sounds like a very sweet bird!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. lizziegurney

lizziegurney New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Banbury , United Kingdom
    Hi guys it's worked we went and got two females around 4 months old she has taken to them brilliantly she attempts to assert the pecking order the best she can and they have excepted her as head hen she now is very happy girl and I now have two flocks [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

This is excellent news!! I am so happy for her and you! :)

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Some great advice already given by Sumi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by