chicken with bite wound on head Update: now wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bock, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I went into the garage to fill up the chicken water and my RIR hen, Rose, followed me into the garage. Then, she decided to pick a fight with my chihauhau mix, as usual, as I was scooping the food. Before I could make it over there to break up the fight, I heard Rose scream. She stumbled outside with a stream of blood squirting out of her head. I finally managed to catch her and get the bleeding to stop with a paper towel. I can't tell for sure whether or not it punctured her skull, but I think it would have bled more. I put her in a dog crate with food and water. She appears to be eating and drinking fine. I was planning on going to TSC soon to get some Layena and TOTW dog food, so maybe I will pick up a vitamin pack too. Is there anything else I should do for poor Rose? Thanks ahead of time for the help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just clean it out good and maybe put a little neo. on it... and maybe next time Rose follows you out to the garage put a muzzle on her so she won't pick a fight with the chihauhau. [​IMG]

3. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I am sorry I can't help you but here is a bump. I am sure you will get a answer hopefully soon. Good luck:)

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:[​IMG] That's a good one! I will be sure to put some neo on there. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    If she is going to be around other birds you might consider some blue kote to deter them from reopening the wound, them chickens can't resist anything that looks like it has been, is, or could be bloody again with a little help.

6. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:I don't have any of that, but I plan on keeping her in the crate until she heals. [​IMG]

7. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Okay, so yesterday evening she looked okay, and the wound was closed, so I decided to let her out. The other chickens are not picking on her, but she has started wheezing, and it looks like blood might have dripped into nostril. She is having a lot of trouble breathing and just isn't acting herself. [​IMG] Is it possible that blood got into her lungs? I don't know what I should do. Any suggestions would be awesome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by