Chicken with bloody head, Now with bigger problem, HAWK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN, Jan 24, 2012.

1. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    hello,

I have a chicken she has a bloody head, what should I do? It looks like something tried to eat it.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    remove her ASAP from the others until she heals. Clean the wound and keep her safe and warm

3. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks, she is doing better! I bet the other chickens were pecking on her because she is sort of new to that coop, I will keep updating how she is doing.

4. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    I went into the barn to get some food for the animals and something flew from the rafters...it was a hawk. Sot that explains the bloody head on the chicken.......what do I do to make the hawk get out????? I have NEVER had the problem before ( plus we have high rafters in the barn so it is hard to make it go away [​IMG] I dont want it to eat my chickens)

Whats the difference between a hawk and a falcon? And which ones eat chickens?

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    They will both eat a chicken - so in my opinion there's no difference. The falcon is much much bigger then most hawks - just depends on the type of hawk. They are all federally protected so people aren't supposed to attack or kill them, you will need to keep your chickens secure. If it's in your barn you'll have to leave the door open to try and encourage it to leave. If you have a dog - I would let the dog hang out in the barn and try and encourage it to leave that way. Hawks and Falcons don't much care for dogs. Of course it's your call - but I would protect my kids & pets before I would worry about the fragility of life of chicken predator.

6. EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok I do have a dog so he probably kept the hawk from eating the chickens.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by