Chicken with bloody neck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick_newbie, Dec 22, 2008.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    OK so I was trying to be good as a go between for 2 different, unknown to each other, and 1 of the hens got pecked on pretty bad last night. I am not sure who did it for sure or why for that matter, they all seem to be healthy little chooks.

OK for the question, what is the stuff that you can put on their necks to keep them from being pecked at badly? I know that I was it here somewhere but of course you can't find things when you need them.

I was thinking that I would keep 1 new hen for myself for the troubles and this one just might have to be it. [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Is she still bleeding ??

3. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    It doesn't appear to be, but the feathers/fur/hair was all stuck together. It was -15 this am. She is in the house wo that we could clean her up and take a good look at her. I don't know what breed she is but her feet are feathered and the neck seems to have extra around it and she is blond in color.

4. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    You can try petro-carbo salve, axle grease, Vick's vapor rub, and Hot Pick.[​IMG]

5. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    About all I have for now is bag balm and vaseline. Would either of these work?

I looked her up and she is a buff cochin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by