Chicken with bloody stool, one dead. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sgt_dane, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sgt_dane

sgt_dane Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    I have 4 month old Sultans, one of my pair died suddenly today, she was doing great yesterday and just died. My roo is now very lethargic, feathers fluffed, not wanting to eat or drink and has straight bloody stool. nothing but blood in it. Any ideas? Im starting him on Tetracyclene (spelling?) Please Help!

2. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    do a quick search for cocci

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Sounds like cocci look on the BACK back posts from like a year ago and you can mostly find good treatments annd endings

4. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Yes sounds like coccidiosis, also look up sulmet <--- I THINK that is a treatment for coccidiosis. You can also call or go into your local feed store they would probably know. Also if you have any other birds keep the sick ones separate. Coccidiosis I heard can be transmitted to your other pets too dogs, I think cats... and to humans, so I would make sure you are washing your hands and anything that comes in contact with the chickens droppings.. (don't wear your "chicken shoes" in the house or anything... keep em' outside) you might search how it is transmitted I could be wrong. Good luck! Sorry you lost your chicken.

5. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    I have had them quarantined since i got them in my shed in a cage, no droppings on the floor or anything. They have had no contact with the other birds, so im hoping everybody else is ok. I have red golden pheasants, quails, mallard ducks and melanistic pheasants.. Im hoping everybody is going to be ok. im treating everyone with tetromyacin as a procautionary measure. This sucks! But i got home, his stool is hardened up a bit, has some solitidy to it, still has some blood but not nearly as much. I have made him some scrambled eggs, hoping he will eat it. Ive got him in my doctor cage with a heat lamp, food and his medicated water. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Well sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep us posted, good luck.

7. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Sounds like cocci for sure. I would get a bottle of Corid and put it in the water for at least 5 days. Pretty sure it is 5ml to 1 gallon of water. Most feed/seed store carry it

Best of luck

8. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    Well i think i figured it out.. no illness i dont think.. I dont get the chickens out much, i feed and water, leave them in the cage. well as i have the roo in the house in my hospital cage i noticed when i gave him some meal worms, he wasnt hitting them when he was trying to peck them! i fed him, same thing with the chicken food! He cant see the food!! Its his oversized crest, he cant see what is right in front of his head! he still is on antibiotics for another three days, im medicating a couple other cages of chickens. Ive got them in cages in the shed until i get their run finished outside.. Does anybody know a good food to feed them? Right now im feeding nutrena unmedicated chick starter. my oldest chicken is 4 months old, then the bunch of babies are about months.. I think the food isnt good for them, i have a few thin chicks that were doing great before i put them in the shed. I had to move one of them back in because he completely stopped eating, he will eat meal worms and everything but wont touch the chicken food. Any ideas?? Thanks for all your help!

9. sgt_dane

May 16, 2010
    Heres my hen, see the size that her crest was. Quite large and you couldnt see her eyes when you look at her straight on.
    [​IMG]

And heres Elvis, his crest is about the same, just larger along the front of the eyes..
    [​IMG]

Theyre beautiful sultans, i have the roo in my home made incubator right beside my computer, hes doing good since i put an oversized food dish in there that he can stand in, then he can eat no matter where his beak hits.. Hes doing much better now.. Does this sound like it could be the issue or ......??

10. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I had similar problems. What i did was first i de-wormed. In parallel i bought food from a special shop that was enhanced with vitamins and minerals and also contained an agent against coccidiosis. They were ok after this. Now i have to deworm again though. It seems that these tape worms really like them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by