Chicken with Bloody Stool - Worms or Coccidiocis? Treatment?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!

One of my chickens was not acting like herself this morning. She is lethargic and drinking a lot of water. Her stools are a bit bloody and I think I saw some little things moving in them. I'm not 100% sure. I have separated her from the other hens, cleaned up the coop, poop board, and feeders. I added electrolytes to all waterers along with probiotics. I don't know whether to treat her for Worms or Coccidiocis or both? Please advise. Thank you!

Do you have photos?

How old is she?

It would be a good idea to gather her up and take a look at her vent and surrounding tissue if you saw blood with worms just to be sure she's not prolapsed, has an injury with maggots, etc.

Do check her crop while you are examining her. Drinking a lot of water with lethargy, often indicates that theirs a crop problem. This can be a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, worms, infection and/or coccidiosis.

Once you have examined her/checked her over really well and have determined that prolapse/injury/maggots, etc. are not the source/cause of the blood or worms you saw, then you can treat with for worms. Getting a fecal float is best, but often finding a vet is difficult.

Safeguard liquid goat dewormer (Fenbendazole) will treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

Corid is used to treat Coccidiosis, Amprolium won't hurt her, if you feel you need to treat, then liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or powder Corid dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Yes. Amprolium and Fenbendazole can be given at the same time.

Do you have photos?

How old is she?

It would be a good idea to gather her up and take a look at her vent and surrounding tissue if you saw blood with worms just to be sure she's not prolapsed, has an injury with maggots, etc.

Do check her crop while you are examining her. Drinking a lot of water with lethargy, often indicates that theirs a crop problem. This can be a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, worms, infection and/or coccidiosis.

Once you have examined her/checked her over really well and have determined that prolapse/injury/maggots, etc. are not the source/cause of the blood or worms you saw, then you can treat with for worms. Getting a fecal float is best, but often finding a vet is difficult.

Safeguard liquid goat dewormer (Fenbendazole) will treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

Corid is used to treat Coccidiosis, Amprolium won't hurt her, if you feel you need to treat, then liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or powder Corid dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Yes. Amprolium and Fenbendazole can be given at the same time.
Here is a photo of poop from this morning...
PXL_20220905_154741889.jpg

I had seen long stringy things in it this morning that I don't see now. Could that be worms or could it be stomach lining?

She is 6 months old. She is an Easter Egger. No evidence of prolapse, vent issues, or injuries with maggots.

There is some drips of stool dripping down her butt feathers a bit.

She has laid eggs for me for a few weeks now. Her last egg was on Saturday.

I'd get a sulfa antibiotic to treat infection and Coccidiosis and deworm her as well.
Okay so I have treated the sick chicken for Cocci with the Corid and also my other 6 birds in the flock. She is still separated from them. Should I keep her separate for the duration of treatment or is it more stressful for her to do that? The dewormer is coming on Wed. so I will be giving them all that as well. Her latest poops have no evidence of blood or worms, but I'm not taking any chances. I'd rather be proactive and ahead of this instead of full of regret.

Okay so I have treated the sick chicken for Cocci with the Corid and also my other 6 birds in the flock. She is still separated from them. Should I keep her separate for the duration of treatment or is it more stressful for her to do that? The dewormer is coming on Wed. so I will be giving them all that as well. Her latest poops have no evidence of blood or worms, but I'm not taking any chances. I'd rather be proactive and ahead of this instead of full of regret.
Neither is contagious. I wouldn't separate her.

Update: I put Indy back into with the other chickens. They are all in the coop for the night. I'll see how she is in the morning.

Question: If I'm adding the Corid to water, do I have to re-fill the water with the medicine every day even if they didn't drink it all or do I just have them use up the water in the waterer and then re-fill?

Update: I put Indy back into with the other chickens. They are all in the coop for the night. I'll see how she is in the morning.

Question: If I'm adding the Corid to water, do I have to re-fill the water with the medicine every day even if they didn't drink it all or do I just have them use up the water in the waterer and then re-fill?
I always refill. Read the container, though.

Back
Top Bottom