chicken with broken leg limp good leg shaking is this a sign...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AdrieeC, Jun 16, 2010.

1. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    she's in pain?

I still cannot really tell if her leg is broken/dislocated or if she pulled a tendon. In any case I have not figured out how to attach a splint or cast or anything because of where the damage is. I wish I could take pictures but I can't. I have been keeping her confined in a cage in our bathroom with food and water in front of her so she doesn't have to move much. DH has not decided what he should do to mobilize it further. The skin is not broken at all.

The thing that concerns me at the moment is that when dh picked up the chicken to examine it today we noticed that her good leg quivers and there is about 1 second between quivers. it's almost as if she picks lifts up the leg slightly, shakes it, and lets it back down.

Have you seen this before, do you think she is in more pain, what suggestions do you have?

Thank you for your help!

2. keechoo

keechoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2007
    Does her good leg shake when your husband does not pick her up? Any animal would be in pain if they injured themselves. I would leave her alone for a few days. Give her water and food and put her in a nice quiet spot. I keep mine in a dimly lit area until I notice her moving around more. Check to make sure she is going to the bathroom and clean the area without much commotion.

3. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    she may have injured both legs and the shakey one is just the least injured. Can she grip your finger? If she is moving the leg and able to grasp with her toes it is probably not broken.(I am not a vet) I have one girl recovering from an injured leg right now. She hopped around on one for two days, then pronounced limping, etc. etc. She is now able to get to the low perch on her own steam. I will not let her get down on her own though. Because she was able to move the leg and grip her toes I have been doing stretching rehab with her (working on range of motion). I assume something was torn or bruised or sprained in her hip area.

I hope your girl heals up. Maybe some Nutridrench, and a little added protein for muscle repair. Thats what I did.

4. AdrieeC

AdrieeC Pink Roses Farm

Mar 14, 2010
    Pearl River
    Thank you for your advice. I put about half of a BC powder ( aspirin) into her gallon watered with vitamin and electrolytes. The good leg can grip, and she is able to stand on it long enough to sortof scoot herself around the cage as she sees fit. I think the good leg may stll be shaking when she is not being handled. So perhaps you are right in that this leg is also injured.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by